Petcock question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock question...

I have my tank off and mounted to the work bench, I put gas in it and connected a hose to the fuel and one to the vac port on the petcock. It is in run position and nothing comes out, which is good I think. When I turn the screw to pri nothing comes out which is bad I think. I removed and cleaned it first, is my valve shot ?? Gas should flow in pri position correct ??
    If I apply a vac to the vac line fuel flows.
    Thanks.

With the petcock in prime position, you should get a fuel flow.
    The petcock could be blocked by some dirt, otherwise you'll need a revision set. Just take it apart, you'll see what's wrong.

Comment

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but I think that the prime position works off of the main side and you will need to put over a gallon of gas in the tank to get any gas to flow out while the petcock is on prime.

Comment

Of course we'll correct you when your wrong. It's what we live for but in this case you aren't. Gas should flow free on prime and you need vaccum to get gas to flow on either on or reserve.

Comment

Oh, that could be the problem, I only put a little gas in the tank in case I had to drain it. I did already have it apart and cleaned it, did not look too bad. So, I will assume it is working, and the gas should flow when I fill the tank more.
          Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

It's probably fine

Based on what you said, I'll bet you'll find that it works just fine once you get everything back together. I agree that you need more than just a little gas in order for it to flow properly on prime. Good luck!
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
            X