starting woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting woes

A few months ago I replaced the starter clutch. A few weeks ago I started to get an odd grinding whirring noise when I engaged the starter. I pulled off the side of the engine and the starter clutch looked good (no dimples), so I took the starter off and took in to the local rebuilder who rebuilt it and when I put it back in I continue to have an odd whirring spinning moise when I hit the starter. I am struggling with what to replace next. I have the battery on a slow charge overnight and will explore in 2004. 1982 GS1100GK

Start :? by checking the bolts that hold the starter clutch to the stator.
    then look at the idler gear between the starter gear and the starter motor, and finally I would remove the starter again and check it for looseness of bearing or even a brush that has moved. And of cause make sure the starter motor is securey bolted in.
    Dink

Comment

As embarrassing as this is to admit, I found the crankbolt had come loose that holds on stator and starter clutch.

I was reassembling and realised I had dropped a part of the clutch on the shop floor so I need to pull in out 1 more time.

I have family activities today but Friday holds promise for a new round of cycling in 2004.

R

Comment

rgierer, I have to replace my starter clutch in the near future. Did you use a flywheel holder when you loosened the rotor bolt or did you just lock up the rear wheel? Did you use an impact or just a regular socket wrench?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I used a 1/2 in socket and blocked the back wheel. The nut was easy the puller was a major challenge. I used the same tools just swore more

rg

Comment

Thanks for the info.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Help with 1150 Starter clutch

Ok heres the situation, I bought an 85 gs 1150 no starter clutch on it. Bought a used unit from Richie on the site and had it installed(a shop did it totally different story that Ill get in to later). The bike starts up but it seems the clutch(starter) wont disengage,it spins the starter and whines terribly. Now I dont have the bike here its at the shop and truthfully have come to the realization I dont think they know jack(even longer story lol)
              I talked to the mechanic and he says it all seems fine except a little wear on the end shaft.Like someone grinded away on it a bit but it is VERY hard to tell...Of course he recommends falicon and the teardown etc...My question is for those in the know what do you think? I plan on getting the bike saturday as it is late after I get home.I have checked the back posts but cant seem to find anything that tells me what make sense to me.. Thanks in advance Keith

Comment

You need to get that bike to someone that knows the GS. Its hard to help you without more info. It could be several things so I won`t make a guess. I do wonder if it is spinning on the crank end though?

Comment

Keith, to hold the stator rotor I made a wooden wrench. Buy a 8" 2 x 4, cut it in half. Place the two halves side by side with a 1" space between them. Cut a six inch circle on the halves of the 2 x 4 at one end. That will give you the left part of the circle on the left board and the right half of the circle on the right board....with a 1" wide center section of the circle missing. Take two 12" lengths of threaded rod and with the z x 4's side by side, drill a hole through both planks at each side of the circle. Put the rod through the planks and a nut on each end of the rods. You now have a wooden wrench with a round jaw that you can tighten by turning down the nuts on the rods. Being 4 feet long will allow the free end to rest on the floor, so you dont even need to hold it once you tighten the threaded rods/nuts. Cost 89 cents for a 2 x 4 at home depot and about $2 for the rods and nuts. :-)

Suzuki will be glad to sell you one of theirs though for $145. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                  rgierer, I have to replace my starter clutch in the near future. Did you use a flywheel holder when you loosened the rotor bolt or did you just lock up the rear wheel? Did you use an impact or just a regular socket wrench?
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

There are three bolts that hold the starter clutch to the stator rotor. If one is broken, the starter clutch can spin concentric. That will be heard as a whirring sound. Take Dink's advice and inspect the starter clutch.
                    (requires removal of the stator and starter clutch and an internal inspection)

Earl

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                      Keith, to hold the stator rotor I made a wooden wrench. Buy a 8" 2 x 4, cut it in half. Place the two halves side by side with a 1" space between them. Cut a six inch circle on the halves of the 2 x 4 at one end. That will give you the left part of the circle on the left board and the right half of the circle on the right board....with a 1" wide center section of the circle missing. Take two 12" lengths of threaded rod and with the z x 4's side by side, drill a hole through both planks at each side of the circle. Put the rod through the planks and a nut on each end of the rods. You now have a wooden wrench with a round jaw that you can tighten by turning down the nuts on the rods. Being 4 feet long will allow the free end to rest on the floor, so you dont even need to hold it once you tighten the threaded rods/nuts. Cost 89 cents for a 2 x 4 at home depot and about $2 for the rods and nuts. :-)

Suzuki will be glad to sell you one of theirs though for $145. :-) :-)

Earl

Luckily for me, I was wrong about having to replace my starter clutch. False alarm.
                      But thanks for the cheap trick, Earl.

Comment

I've been called alot of things Keith, but never a cheap trick.

Earl :-) :-)
                        P.S. I think you must have me confused with wrench

But thanks for the cheap trick, Earl.

Comment

Working...
                        X