Rear Gearbox Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Gearbox Failures

I have a 1981 GS1000GLX with shaft drive and the rear gearbox has failed for the second time. The bike has a little more horsepower than stock, but not much - 4 into 1 exhaust, re-jetted carbs and pod filters. I ride it hard but don't really beat the daylights out of it.
    I would think that the rear gearbox would last a long time, has anyone else had this problem?
    Does anyone know where I should take it to be rebuilt, or do you think I'm better off just finding another used one?

Thanks,
    Andy

Wow, thats a shock. Was everything lubed up properly??
    Shafties are supposed to be indestructible...

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
      Wow, thats a shock. Was everything lubed up properly??
      Shafties are supposed to be indestructible...

Dm of mD
      they normaly are bullit proof, I think you have experianced a freak coincedence.

I have put my high milage final drive, transmission and engine through hell, and I can't break it.
      including reving the engine to 7 grand and dumping the clutch in a attempt to do a big time smoky burn out, but the sticky Dunlop just hooked up and stood the bike straight up!!! didn't break.

the only problem spot I have heard with GS shafties, has been some 650G's have broke the out put shaft from the transmission, and later model big shafties can wear out the drive splines at the wheel if they are not greased.

Comment

Yeah, thats what I was thinking of. Lubing the rear splines. Same thing on my Vulcan 750. The shaft's only weakpoint on that bike is the rear splines. Don't lube em and you can guarantee failure.

Dm of mD

Comment

I'm in my 19th year of GS shaftie ownership -- four 850's and now my GK. 210,000 miles on these five motorcycles. Not one rear end failure, and none is ever expected.

Yes, one must lube the rear wheel splines every time the rear wheel is off the bike. A little dab of moly grease will do ya!

Pillage, you should've bought the one from me! I do have another one, though, so contact me if interested.

Nick

Comment

I think there is one on ebay also. I will probably never need one for mine because I have a spare

Comment

ends in 7 hours, starting price 9.99 w no bids 8O

Comment

that one's for the secondary, not the rear diff. But they are out there. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                X