Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain tentioner leaking

:? Hello everybody

I just noticed that there is oil leaking out of my cam chain tentioner. I have an 86 1150 EF and this is the first time that this has happened , on any of my bikes. Just wondering if this is a common problem?
    Could just be the gasket, or does this mean that the tentioner is finished.
    Other than that I've pretty well become one with the machine, and she runs real good for an old lady.

Thanks

Jari

The stock one on my 1100 leaked a tiny bit , then later on I installed a manual tensioner From V&H and it still weeps around the adjuster bolt a little. I'd bet it's just another quirk of these bikes. Might try a new gasket if it's leaking around the mating surface.

Comment

mine leaks also--its a pain but some of the guys have changed the O ring seal and stopped it--i havent gotten to try that yet

Comment

There are four locations that the tensioner can leak at. Scotty mention two of them, the o-ring and the gasket, but there is also a small seal that can also leak and an o-ring on the locking screw. I had leaking problems but after changing all four items it stopped. Suzuki part numbers are below:

Seal 09284-10006
        Large O-ring 09280-21013
        Small O-ring 09280-06005
        Gasket 12837-31310

By the way, you can get the o-rings and seal at any industrial supply bearing house for less than Suzuki dealers charge.

Now someone help me with the leak around the front of the cam cover!

Hap

Comment

Thanks Hap
          I will do a complete job if i ever can get my hand under ther to take the thing off

Comment

GS850G apply here????

I was wondering if this applies to a 80' 850G. I noticed a little oil coming from this area also. I noticed on bikebandit it shows 1 o-ring and 1 gasket. I don't see any info for the small o-ring or another gasket. I do see a washer for the adjusitment screw....Any ideas?

thanks!

HALL

Comment

Re: GS850G apply here????

Originally posted by hall
              I was wondering if this applies to a 80' 850G. I noticed a little oil coming from this area also. I noticed on bikebandit it shows 1 o-ring and 1 gasket. I don't see any info for the small o-ring or another gasket. I do see a washer for the adjusitment screw....Any ideas?

thanks!

HALL
              For some reason that only Suzuki knows, they did not show those parts as seperate parts on early GS motorcycles. It was not until the GS1150 came out that they showed them as being seperate items.

I do not know if the cam tensioner is the same on the 850 as on the 1100/1150.

Hap

Comment

if the tensioner is leaking then it must have some worn O rings and or gaskets--they must be either taken apart or replaced with the racing type manual ones--on ebay i have seen cam tensioners for many diferent models and the suzuki ones all looked the same but someone must really know the answer--or just dig into it and see??? I have avoided the job myself because it is in such an uncomfortable spot on my bike

Comment

Working...
                X