• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs1000 carb questions?

Here are the two charts for the 1000g and 1000e models

E Model

G Model

Main jet, needle jet and pilot outlet are different between models. The gs1000g and gs1000e engines are identicle although the drivetrain is different. What do these differences mean regarding engine performance/power. Does it move the power band and does one model have more power than the other?

The thing I hate about the "pre-set" crap is they never tell you what it's "pre-set" at!
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

My guess is that the G model is slightly richer because they expected it to be loaded down with extra weight

Comment

The airboxes should be completely different with the E having a longer run to the carbs, thus the smaller mains.

Comment

I think they make the same power. The G loses a few HP to the ground because of the shaft. Maybe Suzuki gave the G a little richer jetting with long distance touring in mind? This would help it run a bit cooler.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Just remembered My GS850 has foam filter, The GS1000E? had a round paper filter that could be the difference in that they use diffent filters

Comment

It pays to remember that the manufacturer has to meet certain emission standards with their bikes. Any slight difference between bike models (weight, airbox, filter, market etc) has to be allowed for. We don't have to worry as much about that!

Comment

The airbox differences are the answer.

I've run my bike (a 750 with a 1000E engine) with a 750 airbox for a while (the 750 airbox is the same as the 1000G and 850 airbox) and I found on the dyno it flowed better than the chain drive 1000 airbox.

The differences are minimal however.

Comment

Airbox......ahhhh right! The E and G boxes are different but I wonder how much difference there actually is with regard to airflow/efficiency or if the differences are mostly physical in order to accomodate the model/seat/frame style differences. I have a foam over metal filter in my E airbox.

brit7.11, even though its small....how much difference? Curious....a couple of HP?

Comment

One jet size bigger and maybe 1 or 2 hp on a good day! Too little to get excited over.

Comment

Working...
                    X