Critique my methodolgy please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique my methodolgy please...

Just taking a shot at this and please correct me if I'm wrong or have the wrong method.

What I plan to do is this...

1. Install Stage-3 Jet kit into new carbs according to the stock directions.
    2. Put the carbs on the bike and see if it will at least run.
    3. If it runs take it to the shop for the carbs to be tuned.

Does this sound like the right idea or am I going about this the wrong way.
    I have no way of getting this bike to the shop until I get it running.
    The shop is over 2 miles away and this bike weighs too much for my weak butt to push for more than a block or two.

Advice?

Dm of mD

What modifications have been done to the bike???? Stage 3 will be very rich for a stock motor. I would clean the carbs and get the motor running first before trying to rejet the carbs

Comment

Well, the only modifications to the bike are that I replaced the handlebars, rear fender and took off the airbox and will replace with individual pod filters. The stage-3 kit is the only one that will work with the pod filters so I don't know if you're right about being too rich.

The engine runs, I'm just doing carb work.

Dm of mD

Comment

You probably need to install a 4-1 pipe also.

Burn more gas :twisted:

Comment

Are you sure the shop won't come and pick it up? The shop I use is more than willing to send a guy over with a pick up and at no charge. You're close to them so, it doesn't seem to unreasonable to me.

Just a thought.

Comment

Actually, you know what? They probably would. But I was trying to avoid any type of extra charges. I'm even taking off the rear wheel to have the rubber replaced so they can't charge me for the labor of removing it from the bike.

Dm of mD

Comment

Wow, I just found some awesome advice on balancing carbs!

"In theory you can balance four cylinder carbs by removing them from the bike and doing it by eye. On a bank of slide carbs trap a small piece of wire (I use short lengths of welding rod) under each slide, swivel the carbs round so all four mouths are facing downwards, then very slowly open the throttle slightly. Note which piece of wire falls out first and which last. Make adjustments to the balancer screws until all four pieces of wire fall at exactly the same time when you open the throttle. "

8O
              Dm of mD

Comment

let me just say this since i have had lots of experince running and tuning a 550 with cv carbs like yourself with stg 3 jet kit. First issue YOU MUST RUN K AND N PODS ON YOU BIKE with your stg 3, k and n make a specific set for your bike. it will not run well at all no matter what you do to it with cheaper other brand filters, the other filters just don't let enough air into the moter due to there designs.

second, it is not very hard to balance and tune your bike (just follow the repair manuel), buy yourself and mercry stix so you can balance your carbs yourself. the stix will cost about half of what a shop will charge. the wire method will work roughly so you can get a general balance but it will not be perfect and will lead to problems down the road in trying to tune the rest of it. the merc stixs will show exactly how much air is being drawn by each carb something the wire can not, due to machineing difrences each carb is NOT the same so the wire trick will not work all that well.

third a 4 into 1 may help especailly if you decide to run a stg 3 jet kit, buy one with the money you save doing the work yourself.

and fourth, if you can manage to balance your carbs with the merc stixs then more then likely the only adjustments (tuning) you will need to make to the carbs is adjusting your fuel mixture screws (commonly confused for a air mixture screw) so your bike isn't running to rich or too lean.

i will personly help you "tune your carbs" on your 550 yourself if you like, hoping that everything elses on your bike is running well.

try this link for more info on 550 stuff

ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Um...Perhaps there was a little confusion. I have a GS750.
                  Will your advice still work the same? I know I need the pod filters but I thought they were all the same. I didn't know K&N pods were the EXACT ones I needed. Those punks want 20.00 per filter! There HAS to be a cheaper alternative.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                    Um...Perhaps there was a little confusion. I have a GS750.
                    Will your advice still work the same? I know I need the pod filters but I thought they were all the same. I didn't know K&N pods were the EXACT ones I needed. Those punks want 20.00 per filter! There HAS to be a cheaper alternative.

Dm of mD
                    Listen to first timer, he knows what he's talking about! He just helped me sort out my gs1000e. We dipped and rebuilt my carbs and flushed/bled the brake lines and did the synch. Bike runs 1000000% better now! Totally awesome!!!!

You do not need to have the shop tune your carbs, you can easily save big $$ and do it yourself. All they are going to do (if they even do it at all/or well) you can do with the info here on the forum. There are tips here on the site for what you need to do and order a synch tool! Even first timer/Ryan offered to help you out (via email). With that stage 3 kit, your 4 in 2 exhaust may restrict you/not work.......get the 4 in 1 exhaust. Don't go cheap on the pods.....K&N are quality and will serve you well. In the long run its all worth it. Do not let that rust stay in that tank or all of your efforts are for nothing. Cool bike, good luck man!

Comment

Aw man, those pods....115 dollars. *sigh* okay okay I'll buy em, but I'm going to have to do the synching myself. That eats into my "Shop" budget. But considering that this is a true custom in progress I need to stay away from the shops as much as I'm able.
                      I will follow the advice given here and try it out this weekend. I'll order a Synch tool today.

Thanks all,
                      Dm of mD

Comment

You may also be able to buy unlabeled K&Ns, I know Pingel has them, and they are much cheaper. They are made with the same material and the same design as the K&Ns but with out the name on the cap.

Comment

Ah ha! Kewl, Thanks!!! Do you happen to have a link?

Dm of mD

Comment

Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

Call them for a price.

Comment

Working...
                            X