Frame Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame Metal

Can anyone tell me if a 1978 GS-1000C frame is made of streel, or is it steel?????? My chromer needs to know this...thanks..

Wow, this will prove both interesting and educational as I own a 78 GS1000C and have never heard of Streel. What is it? Diff blend?

Hope someone can answer your question.

Comment

frame metal

My bad..."streel" is a result of not mastering the english language, poor spelling, and water on the brain...i shall seek another chromer...

Comment

I wasn't being a smart a$$. I thought for sure since you mentioned it both ways that there was maybe a diff mix that made for stronger or lighter metal. What was the original question then? Steel or what? I know mine is made of some sort or steel for sure. It isn't aluminum if thats what you meant?
        :?

Comment

I would guess your chromer was asking if it was mild steel or chrom-moly steel (I would spell it out by the second word is too hard for me).

Unless it is something special, like an old factory built race bike, it is made of plain old variety "mild steel".

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by KennyJ
            I would guess your chromer was asking if it was mild steel or chrom-moly steel (I would spell it out by the second word is too hard for me).

Kenny
            Molybden.....molybydeni.......molibedinm.......mol lybdenni....

Comment

Not knowing anything about metalurgy (but a fair bit of chemsitry) I'm guessing chrom-moly steel is an alloy containing chromium and molybdenum(maw-LIB-den-UM) I apologize for my crappy phonetics but I figure you get the drift. If not, check Webster's online and it'll pronounce the word correctly.

hope this helps...Sam

Originally posted by Paul
              Originally posted by KennyJ

Kenny
              Molybden.....molybydeni.......molibedinm.......mol lybdenni....

Comment

Well, not to be too disparaging, but your chroming shop should be able to discern what steel blend it is by hitting it with an angle grinder. If not I would go somewhere else.

Comment

Well when you get your frame back from the chrome shop send us a photo of the freshly chromed peice. Also is it being done in the US and how much are they charging you to chrome the frame.
                  Regards, Archie

Comment

Mild steel. Just slap some powder coat on it - there are a varietry of colors - including chrome.

I have never liked the looks of chrome frames. But that's just me.

Comment

It's mild steel, I've done some cutting and welding on my 78 1000 frame.

Comment

Well, not to be too disparaging, but your chroming shop should be able to discern what steel blend it is by hitting it with an angle grinder.
                        Just out of curiousity, how is using an angle grinder going to tell you what particular specification of steel was used?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
                          Well, not to be too disparaging, but your chroming shop should be able to discern what steel blend it is by hitting it with an angle grinder.
                          Just out of curiousity, how is using an angle grinder going to tell you what particular specification of steel was used?

Mark
                          You get a different "coloured" spark.

Comment

Remember the Simpsons episode when Homer goes to night school and the teacher burns a donut in some sort of demonstration? The flame color of the burning donut indicated the flavor of the frosting and sprinkles. You can do the same with metal!
                            The sparks are not only a different color, but they throw off different spark patterns, depending on the material.

Comment

You get a different "coloured" spark.
                              Interesting, I have never heard of that before. Of course, I tend not to be doing repair work on unknown steels very often, either...

Thanks for the replies.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X