Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700E parts

Hey everybody,
    I am new to this board and probably will be needing some help in the near future. I used to own a GS700E, it was my first bike, and sold it when I moved onto something alittle more sporty. Well I always wished I had kept it as it was so nice to ride and was a great everyday bike to get me around town and to work. Well as luck would have it I bumped into the guy I sold it to years ago on Christmas day and asked how the bike was doing or if he still had it. He said he still had it but he had pulled the carbs to clean them and never got back to putting it back together and asked me if I wanted to buy it back for little or nothing just to have it out of his garage. I bought it on the spot, so I had a very Merry Christmas. Well now I have to rebuild it and make it like new because I will never let it go again. I guess I am just wondering what parts off of more common models can be used. For example I am wondering what other models have the same carbs as I can not find a carb rebuild kit for the gs700 model. Also where is a good place to find things like new sidepanels and possibly a tank as I know it started to rust inside and that is why the carbs needed to be cleaned. Thanks for any help and don't be suprised if you see me post lots of questions latter this spring when I have gotten all the parts together and I start the rebuild. I am sure I will be consulting this board quite a bit.

Brian

Parts

Glad you got it back.

I have the same bike.

Tanks are hard to come by from what I have been seeing.

I have just needed to clean my carbs and mine is perfect now. I also added a fuel filter inline also which has helped.

Good luck

Comment

As for parts It depends on your budget You can check http://www.bikebandit.com for parts info and availablity
      Or you can keep checking ebay
      Or make a list, check with some of the forum members
      Unless the tank is real bad they can usually be coated on the inside to make them usable again
      http://www.por15.com/restorationkits.html for the tank
      http://www.siriusconinc.com for carb kits
      I'm sure others will post additional places to look

Comment

As SqDancerLynn1 said, check e-bay frequently. In the course of looking for parts for my 1983 GS750, I have often seen misc. GS700 parts for sale (e.g. tank, side panels, etc., etc.). If you simply type in "GS700" as the search criterion, you should find any parts for sale for your bike.

Simon

Comment

A lot of GS750 parts will fit also

Comment

A lot of 83 GS750 parts will fit, but not the cosmetic stuff. I know the side panels are different, and I'm not sure about the tank. Mechanically they're pretty much identical, other then engine stroke, and cam profile.

Comment

All of the aesthetic stuff is different. Tank, sidecovers, tail, and seat are all different. Seems like the '85s are more common than the '83s anyway. Could be because Suzuki didn't make a lot of bikes in '83 overall due to warehouses full of '82, '81, and even '80 models all over the country. Also, a lot of the '83s went racing, and probably none of the '85s did.

Before I got my '85, I had my eye on a maroon/black '83 750E for a couple of years. When I finally had the scratch together to get it, the dealer had gone out of business and his bikes all went back to Suzuki. I ended buying the '85 at another dealer, but I've always wondered what happened to "my" '83 that I had sat on dozens of times over the three years it sat in the showroom collecting dust. The dealer probably sold dozens of GS-L models and Kawasaki LTD cruisers while his lone GS sportbike (and the GPZ550 he also had) languished in the corner for years. Small town dealers...

Hint: When looking for parts for your bike on ebay, you'll get more hits if you do it in several steps. This is how I do it. First, do a search under "suzuki gs". Next, do a search under "GS700". Next search, "GS700E". Finally, "GS700ES".

I've found parts this way that only turned up on one of the above searches.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I really appreciate all of the advice.

Comment

Working...
                X