Taller gearing for GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taller gearing for GS850G

Any machinist out there ever try making taller gears tor the GS shaft final drive units? The GS 850 cries out for lower rpm at highway speeds.
    It seems that swaping the final drive for the late 83 GS1100G will do it but the only one available in the world is owned by a smilling deerslayer who will only part with it for a G note.

Just be patient - I have seen several 1100g final drives go on E-bay for a lot less than a "G note". 8)

Comment

I have long wished I could do this, but I haven't known of anyone who has actually done it. I assume it is the gearing at the front of the shaft that has to be changed. Is the hub gearing different on the different G models?
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

I though it was only the 1984 GS1100GK model that had
        the taller gearing.
        Correct me if I'm wrong but I think "Nick the shaft drive expert"
        has discussed this before.

Mo

Comment

They swap with no adjustment whatsoever. In other words, I could install a conventional final drive on my 84 GK. The newer high-gearing, low-ratio final drive off my GK will fit any GS shaftie. No modification whatever.

It's the internal gearing that's different. I can't tell the difference between one and the other when looking at both at once.

Nick

Comment

Hey Nick.
            If you would be willing to take you unit apart and send me all the dimensions, I could make the gears.
            I have never opened one of these up so if it's going to be a damage risk, forget I asked. Although I'm jealous of your "taller shaft" I would never forgive myself if it was lost for speculative project.
            I can get shop time in Montreal, just 2 hours down the road, quite cheap.
            Cutting gears is actually pretty straight forward on a dividing head.
            I used to be a tool & die maker.
            If anyone has the specs, let me know and I'll turn a bunch out. I figure at cost plus 5 percent, I'll get mine free if 20 people want them.

Comment

Let me know how much you think it will be,
              I may be interested, I'm sure there are others that will be too.
              Of course, Nick sould get a comission off the deal too!

Mo

Comment

I don't think that making the gears will be as simple as you think. The gears are not straight cut. They are hypoid and require very specialized equipment. Then the heat treating process.

This process might only take several hours on a CNC machine, but could take several days on a standard mill/grinding machine.

Keep looking for the Suzuki parts. The late model 83 1100G/GK's and all 84 1100GK's had the 2.90 ring and pinion.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsg01
                  I don't think that making the gears will be as simple as you think. The gears are not straight cut. They are hypoid and require very specialized equipment. Then the heat treating process.

This process might only take several hours on a CNC machine, but could take several days on a standard mill/grinding machine.

Keep looking for the Suzuki parts. The late model 83 1100G/GK's and all 84 1100GK's had the 2.90 ring and pinion.
                  Yes, on a CNC machine like GLEASON ,it only takes a few hours to cut the
                  splines.
                  In this machines the major time is the set up; the "real" work , I mean c ut the splines it could take a few minutes.
                  In my job shop there are standars milling machines, and take severals days to make a couple of splines...to much machine work , and to much hand work.

Try this :

Good luck.

Eliseo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobetter
                    I though it was only the 1984 GS1100GK model that had
                    the taller gearing.
                    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think "Nick the shaft drive expert"
                    has discussed this before.

Mo
                    suzuki changed the gearing from 11/34 to 11/32 for 1983 on the 1100G,GL,and the GK.
                    the 850 kept the 11/34 gears. (I just looked it up)
                    and they will interchange, you can put a final drive housing from a 83 or later 1100Gk on a 79 850g, it will bolt right up.

Comment

I'm not willing to take mine apart, dwarf8, because it's on my GK right now. I just installed a new rear tire a few days ago (my spanking new Harley tire -- see the story in another thread), and taking it off again is not to my liking.

Making the gears sounds like too much trouble. Just keep looking, guys, and, in the meantime, if you can't ultimately find one and you want one badly enough, it's just $1,000 from me -- and that includes shipping! Ain't that grand?

In January, 2005, the price will go up to $2,000, so take advantage of it now. For $1,000 I will remove my rear wheel again.

Nick

Comment

hmmmm, I think I will do some digging around the area bike retirement homes, a few shafties in them, I need to see what years

Comment

What about the Cavalcade?
                          Does it have an interchangeable drive?

Mo

Comment

No, the Cavalcade has a totally different final drive unit, which exchanges with that on the GSX1100G -- not the GS shaftie models we're talking about here.

Nick

Comment

Guys, go to the thread, on this technical forum, entitled "gs850/1100 final drive ratio". Your prayers may have been answered.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X