question about how to attach crash bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about how to attach crash bars

ok, this is going to be an easy question for you guys (i hope) but i'd rather ask than screw it up....

i have a set of 3 leg crash bars and they came with a 5 or 6" bolt thats threaded at one end and has 2 triangular plates that have 3 holes..one attachd to the aforementioned bolt and 2 that are machine threaded.

so when i position the bars i can see the 3 bolts in the frame that line up with the various holes however it looks as though there are already those 2 triangular plates attached to the bike...i don't see the bolt but it it passes through the front of the engine block right behind the pipes then it would appear that its already on the bike also....

so...i'm assuming that if its one the bike thats good enough and the one that came with the bars i can put to one side as a spare..or do i need to replace whats on the bike with the bolt that shipped with the bars....

secondly assuming i'm incorrect about the bolt passing through the front of the engine block then the bolt i will need to remove to attach the bars looks like its holding the frame to the engine block....

do i need to support the engine before i remove the bolt..???

and finally i don't see a reference to crash bars in my clymers manual so does anybody have rough torque poundage settings for the 3 bolts or do i go as tight as i can get them...and then whats the though on locktite needed ???

sorry to be long winded with such a lame question but every wannabe mechanic has to start somewhere..

Thanks

I 'm not sure about the plate, sounds like you are refering to the motor mount The triangle plate is the motor mount and is on the inside of the frame, the crash bars fit on the outside of the frame. doing one side at a time you shouldn't need to support the engine.. YES locktight would be a good idea

Comment

my crash bars bolt to the motor mounts....half assedly.

Comment

and finally i don't see a reference to crash bars in my clymers manual so does anybody have rough torque poundage settings for the 3 bolts or do i go as tight as i can get them...and then whats the though on locktite needed ???
        What size are the bolts? I can pull a reasonable torque value from a company chart I have with the size of bolt.

Yes, Loctite is a good idea. Use blue and never worry about them coming loose on you during a ride...

Mark

Comment

could it be that the little triangle plates you are talking about are the special nuts that fit up inside the engine case under the engine? If they have a threaded hole in the center that is what they are for. they are designed that way because a standard nut will not fit in the slot they sit and you could never get a nut tightened in the tiny space. the triangle piece rotates and locks against the case and allows you to tighten the bolt on the bike without needing to catch the nut. I had to lay under the bike and see where it fit before i slid the bolt all the way in place.

Comment

Working...
          X