one bolt on exhaust pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one bolt on exhaust pipe?

Took the exhaust off, and have one broken bolt left in there that I'll have to drill eventually (summer project). Anyway, how much of a problem will I run into if I drive with just one bolt holding one of the pipes in? Air leaks? Stress on that single bolt?

Thanks.

--Tyler

Which bolt is it? does it hold the pipe in tension or shear? Either way, though, I don't think it'll be a problem.

I broke one of my muffler bolts. Ironically, it was my first use of my new torque wrench. Seems my bolt were not even nearly up to what Mr. Clymer though they should be. I don't think it'll be a problem.

Wishin I was riding...

Michael

Comment

I have one missing, and have put on over 15,000 miles with it missing. No problems at all. The only thing that may happen, is you might get some popping thru the exhaust when you back off the throttle, or you might hear a tapping sound, it actually sounds a lot like a loose valve. Both of these things can happen if you have a tiny leak there.

Comment

I ran my 400 like this for about 3 months. Lots of popping as stated above and damaged chrome from leaking gases. I wouldn't do it if you are putting on a new exhaust.

Steve

Comment

Well, I'm studying abroad for this next semester, and my dad's just going to ride the bike once a week to keep gas running through it, so it's not like many miles will be put on it before the summer, when I plan on getting that bolt out.

Anyone know what torque those exhaust bolts should be set at? My Haynes doens't say...grrr. It's a 1980 GS550L. Thanks.

--Tyler

Comment

I snugged them up and started the bike. Then I tightened them until I couldn't hear anymore exhaust leaks.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X