backlash worries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backlash worries

Hi all, HEELLPP ok I get a backlash when I back off or throttle up mostly at low speeds,traffic speed.I pulled out the rear end and checked the drive shaft and the uni joint is fine,there is a little bit of free play in the diff itself but I think thats normal.However put the bike in gear and turn the sharft to the gearbox and there is quite a bit of free play. Do I panic now or wait till later?.

Cheers George.

Re: backlash worries

[quote="Georgej"]Hi all, HEELLPP ok I get a backlash when I back off or throttle up mostly at low speeds,traffic speed.I pulled out the rear end and checked the drive shaft and the uni joint is fine,there is a little bit of free play in the diff itself but I think thats normal.However put the bike in gear and turn the sharft to the gearbox and there is quite a bit of free play. Do I panic now or wait till later?.

Cheers George.[the motorcycles natural enemy is the volvo!/quote]

Comment

Re: backlash worries

Hi all, HEELLPP ok I get a backlash when I back off or throttle up mostly at low speeds,traffic speed.I pulled out the rear end and checked the drive shaft and the uni joint is fine,there is a little bit of free play in the diff itself but I think thats normal.However put the bike in gear and turn the sharft to the gearbox and there is quite a bit of free play. Do I panic now or wait till later?.

Cheers George.

The motorcycles natural enemy is..... The Volvo!

Comment

Hold off on the panic for now. How much free play do you have?
        How many miles/kilometres are on the bike?

There will be some play, and it may get advanced with age and use, but what you are describing seems to be in the transmission, and extensive wear in that area is possible, but not likely. Since you say the entire rear section is in good shape, you may just have normal play.

Some bikes do have more backlash than others, and I do not know why.
        Carmen has commented on this experience on his 1100L, but I don't get enough to be concerned about on mine.

Small note....while you have the back wheel off, grease the drive gear surfaces. Just smear it on with your finger. The grease cannot move around the teeth after assembly, so you should put some on every tooth.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

With the bike on the centerstand How far can you turn the rear wheel??

Comment

Mine has 'alot' also, but seems to be coming mostly in the transmision part, maybe secondary drive? It does not seem to be a problem, maybe all are like that? Guess you can measure how far the tire moves? :twisted:

Comment

Take heart George...nothing had more driveline lash than a '72 650 Yamaha XS2...and it was chain drive. Good Luck with your bike.

Comment

Another reason to love chain drive, simple problems with simple solutions!

Comment

Another reason to love chain drive, simple problems with simple solutions!

Total nonsense, Michael Falke. In order for there to be a simple solution, there must be a problem first. There is no problem, simple or complicated. The GS shafties give no more driveline lash than the chainies do. All five of my GS shafties, plus my old Guzzi, presented nowhere near the problem described in this thread.

Putting a little grease on the rear driven gear every time the rear wheel comes off doesn't strike me as a complicated solution to a nonproblem. It beats having to get down and lube that chain any time. What created this "problem" is probably a lack of maintenance to the driven gear, easily avoided by the simple act of placing a dab of grease on this gear.

I stripped the driven gear on my first GS850 back in 1987, the result of lack of maintenance. Just didn't know any better. No such problem since then.

Nick

Comment

Gee, some people are sensitive!

I just looked up the original tests of the shafties. The Suzukis were renowned for low drive lash, using tighter tolerances and a cush drive from the clutch main shaft before the drive forces hit the transmission. I don't know whether this can be adjusted or wears over time. As Nick says, basic maintenance when the wheel is off is a good idea. Also, a G with CV carbs not well set up may have low speed jerkiness problems (as may a chain drive model). It may be a matter of no real problem, just a characteristic.

Comment

I guess retired teachers have no one else to vent their anger on. So take your shaft Nick and put it where it counts! :roll:

Comment

Well now I'm not getting into the shaft Vs chain debate.......oh bugger it all right I?ve had both and living down a dirt road I found that chains (even O ring) got chewed up pretty quick. So I thought I'd give shafties a go, and I?ve had no problem with the GS (till now) or the Goldwing before it or the CX 500a before that.
                        But getting back to the real point, I tend to agree that the backlash is in the secondary drive and is just plain old age. I try to keep it serviced and I jam oil and grease in all the right places, but as I have said before I have put over 22000 Km on it in just under 2 years, I ride nearly every day (cars are unnatural contraptions of the devils design!) so my poor old GS needs a major overhaul very soon.....Or at least washing and a new front tyre.

Cheers i feel better now

The Motorcycles natural enemy IS.........The Volvo!

Comment

I guess retired teachers have no one else to vent their anger on. So take your shaft Nick and put it where it counts!

Michael Falke, go fly a kite. Get the shaft yourself. You'll be much happier.

I guess you're frustrated that my rational arguments, which I don't consider to be angry at all, are construed by you to be angry, simply because they're rational and well stated. So, instead of making a counter argument, you lash out at me (pun fully intended, considering the title of the thread.)

You're the one who sounds angry, Michael Falke. Don't worry -- be happy! I am. Why should a retired teacher be angry? That's a contradiction in itself!

Nick

Comment

Try putting the bike in gear, then see how much lash occurs. :twisted:

Comment

Yes I am angry Nick! Making nasty coments about my "shaft" like that! Why now I have to go whip and chain it to get satisfaction! Have you no deciency?? 8O

Now keep you "pinions" to yo self! 8O

Comment

Working...
                              X