backlash worries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Falke
    Yes I am angry Nick! Making nasty coments about my "shaft" like that! Why now I have to go whip and chain it to get satisfaction! Have you no deciency?? 8O

Now keep you "pinions" to yo self! 8O
    Love the differentials in presentation.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Now keep you "pinions" to yo self!

Good one, Michael.

Love the differentials in presentation

Real good one, Ron Martin.

What a bunch of jokesters. I love it.

Nick

Comment

nick diaz wrote:

Now keep you "pinions" to yo self!
        now that is nice!!...hhahaa

my shaftie does just fine, backlash and all........my chainie does just fine as well...I say as long as the back tire moves, and does so with any efficiency at all, there is no need for complaints :P

Ian

Comment

Ok thanks propflux01 yes there is a bit there when I move the wheel. After reading what the gurus at Clymer have written in the manual there is room for adjustment there and they used that four letter word "shim". I hate those things, they make it necessary to think a bit (that?s not good). why oh why did the Japanese when designing such a wonderful engine not combine the two good ideas of the bullet proof bottom end and the 4 valve head on top (with it's adjustable tappets) they just like to frustrate people. Ok i've had my whinge now,I feel better.

Comment

Hey, don't start up a thread complaining about 2 valvers...a shim top end and shaft would mean minimal maintenance, as I have found once the shims are bedded in they rarely need looking at as they don't change. Having to adjust valves all the time would be the pits

One suggestion about the drive lash..in my car I found going to a full synthetic gear oil of the specified viscosity range definitely quietened my car diff, which previously made all sorts of noises when warm. The synthetic oil maintains viscosity better in hot conditions. It worked in a V8 car diff, so may alleviate some of your concerns.

Comment

Ok I'll see what viscosity of the oil that?s in it is, (the quickest way to shut a car diff up is to banana skins in it)! :twisted:

So how often do the shims need to be checked?

Comment

that part of tha tranny is the hypoid oil section. It calls for 90w, but most use 75w-90 without a problem. it may quiet the noise, but will not solve a problem. the shims are not 'checked' on any maintenance interval, they are set when the secondary gear assy is put together at the factory. The cyl head valve shims, on the other hand, are a 4000 mile check. :twisted:

Comment

I be thanking you very muchly! as the book says this job should be tried at home boys and girls with out the right gear,which I sadly do not have, so it's of to see the fix it man ( he can do the valve shims as well) and saaz I'm slowly changing my opinion of shims.

Cheers George

The natural enemy of the motorcycle is......The Volvo!! :twisted:

Comment

Once the shims are bedded in (20,oookms or so) they don't seem to chanage. I have changed about 2 in the last 80,oookms.

Better oil does not solve a mechanical problem, but as my noises with the diff only happened when it got hot, and now they do not happen when it gets hot, it seems to perform its function better.

Comment

georgej wrote:
                      The natural enemy of the motorcycle is......The Volvo!!

I have a Volvo!!!...and it's awesome, old one that was built when they were made without ford tags on them

Ian

Comment

Working...
                      X