gs850/1100 final drive ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850/1100 final drive ratio

hi there can anybody out in the great motorcycle world in which we live, point me to somewhere i can get the full specefications of the gs850? or any of you guys/gals of the anorak variety (i mean this in the best possible taste) and happen to know the final drive reduction gearing ratio for a 1982 gs850?. i am putting a chair on my gs1100gk (dont laugh, i have a family and a gpz400 and kdx200 for my sins) and want to lower the gearing, retaining the standard wheel. my final reduction ratio is 3.090 (34/11)? is the 850 different help cheers everyone many thanks for your help last time and a happy new year to you all. rob

See the thread on this technical forum entitled "Taller gearing for GS850G". Your question should be answered there.

Also answered are the hopes of several other GSers who would love to swap final drives with you!

Nick

Comment

The 850 uses 2.9 gear ratio. PM if you would be interested in trading

Comment

ALL GS850's use the 11/34 ratio (3.09 to 1) The ONLY bikes to use the taller 11/32 ratio were the late 1983 and all 1984 GS1100G, GL, GK.

I don't care what the online fiche says about the 83's. I spent several years looking for my 11/32's and experience tells me that there were some 11/34's that Suzuki had laying around when they started building the 83's.

The only way to verify the ratio is to actually look at the drive. Put a mark on the pinion and on the drive splines. If you have to turn the pinion more than three full turns to get the drive splines to make one turn, it is a 3.09. Less than three full turns and you have a 2.90.

Comment

I knew that my brain wasn't in gear

Comment

Rob1100

I just stumbled across this on Ebay. It is listed as an 85 Cavalcade, but I don't think they made the Cavalcade in 85.

It looks like an 1100G drive. It might be worth looking into.

Comment

86 lists 12/32 gear combo 2.7? not the 11/32 GK 2.9
              Too much of a change????

Comment

Lynn

I was only pointing out that the drive was available. They did not build a Cavalcade in 85. That said, if someone wanted to contact the seller to find out what it actually is, it may be for a GS1100GK.

It could be worth looking into.

Comment

TRUE: we try and help each other. I would probably think the seller is refering to it as a 85 because of the MFG date on the frame not the actual model year SO it would be valid. It does look like a direct replacement for the GS-G series drive unit. It also looks like a 91GSX1100G may also fit and have the 2.9 ratio???? but I couldn't read the fisch

Comment

Update 91 will not fit No stud for the shock but it does bring up the posibility of newer wheels. Swing arms are different tho

Comment

Working...
                    X