Part 3 - Ugh...painting indoors is bad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 3 - Ugh...painting indoors is bad.

Welp. got the rear fender chopped and test fit. Now its time to paint it and the tank!

The can...on the can.

The petcock...

Check out the rusty gas that was in the tank!

Sediment from flushing the tank with cleaner.

Nasty rust particles...

Rear fender + paint stripper = MESSY!

Aaaah...nice and clean. And Shiny!

Still a little rusty...The dremel tool fixed all of that.

Rear Fender Primed for painting.

You're next rusty tank! Grrrrr..

The tank stripped sanded and polished.

Things start to go wrong here...Oh, my beautiful fender.

Ruined rear fender. Stupid faulty clearcoat can pretty much blew a leak and doused the fender.

The evil culprit....

Icky sticky spillage.....Drat.

But its okay, the tank came out perfect.

The finished works...

Ugh, I've got a killer headache today and my snot is all black from not wearing a respirator while painting in the workroom. Stupid winter...
    I would much rather have been outside to do this project.

I think I may take the tank to get professionally cleaned since what I used didn't do that great of a job, though it did break
    up the chunks of rust in the tank and get them out.

Dm of mD

Whoa.....stripper and painting in your bathroom!!!!??? Dude, good work but man.....get a respirator before you kill yourself. Those fumes are baaaaaddd news. I like the flames on the tank, very nice. I would get that tank 100% free of rust while your knee deep in the project. Don't waste the effort you've already spent.......some bad chunks coming out of there. By the looks from those pictures.....its time for new fuel lines, fuel petcock will need to be rebuilt, you need to install a fuel filter and most definitly your carbs will need rebuilding from the look of that gas/rust (not a big deal, I got 4 carb kits off Ebay). I would bet that the brake fluid/lines are filled with goo if that gas is any indication. Bleed them clean! Nice work, good luck!!

Comment

Painting should NEVER be done indoors unless you are in a paint booth with the proper breathing system. Even out side USE a good quality type filter for the type of paint you are using. Only drug users snif paint fumes
      it is very bad for your health

Comment

Thank you both. I will DEFINITELY not attempt anything like this again indoors. I am ditching the old carbs since I've got the new set in along with my Stage-3 kit yesterday. I'll replace all fuel lines and filters before the tank goes back on. I'm taking the tank to the shop to get cleaned this weekend.

Dm of mD

Comment

Good work. I like your captions! But I agree with everyone, don't paint indoors without a respirator (not a cheap paper mask). You want to be alive to ride your creation!
          Also, unless you're in a spray booth, you're going to have paint overspray EVERYWHERE in your home. I know, I've spray painted a few bike indoors. Never again!
          Also, try Kreem for your gas tank. They sell a full 3-step kit with rust remover, water dispersant and the rubberized tank coating. You'll also need a respirator to use this stuff, but it does the job & will keep your tank from corroding again.

Comment

Cruzuki...you were right. This morning when I finally went back in that bathroom to use the toilet there was this light dusting of something on the surface of the water in the toilet. Swirling it around I realized that it was particles of the paint!! 8O
            That was a real shocker!

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
              Cruzuki...you were right. This morning when I finally went back in that bathroom to use the toilet there was this light dusting of something on the surface of the water in the toilet. Swirling it around I realized that it was particles of the paint!! 8O
              That was a real shocker!

Dm of mD
              LOL, wait until you blow your nose now and see what comes out of there!

Great work though man. But your pictutres are HUGE!!!!! You need to crop them down. Remember, some guys on here are on dial up connections and will not be able to read or view your posts very well if you keep doing this.

Comment

I was on MSN with Leon (FocusFrenzy) last night. He had just started to look at this thread.

Today, 19 hrs later, it's still loading strongly. He can now just barely make out the top of the 3rd picture.
                Maybe it's time for him to trade that Commodore64 or whatever it is he's using, in for something a little more modern.
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Oh yeah...I saw the black boogeys yesterday. I was a bit scared by that. I wonder what my lungs look like now...

Dm of mD

Comment

It is impossible to overstress that painting must NOT be done that way.

With some paints , notably the two-part ones, you have a killer combination...literally, as some use variations of cyanide to harden the paint.

No matter what type of paint method you use, a respirator is essential. As Earlfor once pointed out, some of these paints, again, notably, the two-part ones, continue their chemical curing even after you have inhaled the tiny particles, but now they are painting your lungs.

Even if you do not have a true paint booth, make something up to keep the spray in place, and it absolutely MUST have forced ventilation that carries the air from the booth directly outdoors. You can make the temporary booth out of wood sheets, and mount a decent fan that has a strong pull right in the window.

Suspend the tank on a wire when painting. Start at the top and rotate it slowly to match your spray technique as you come down. Do not try to complete the job with a single coat. Depending on the paint being used, you may need 3 or 4 coats of base and, if it is acrylic/lacquer you need clearcoat to finish it...and several coats of it.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Crap. Well...this bike may be my final testament to my love for motorcycles. If I die, bury me with the tank.

Sincerely,
                      Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                        Crap. Well...this bike may be my final testament to my love for motorcycles. If I die, bury me with the tank.

Sincerely,
                        Dm of mD

OK....Did you want treads with that?
                        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Hehehe....

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                          X