swingarm question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swingarm question

I have done a few searches, and couldn't find the answer to my specific question. I am in the process of deciding what suspension upgrades I want to make to my '82 1100E. I would like to go to a monoshock rear, but it would be a slow process because of finances. I was wondering if it would be any easier or even an improvement to use the later GS monoshock rearend instead of a gsxr rear.
    Thanks,
    Billy

Why do you need an upgrade ???
    In my opinion monoshock doesn`t change too much and needs lots of effort and money. Pair of decent shocks and a new set of swingarm bearings will change a lot, for pherhaps 1/3 of cost and effort.

Adam M.

Comment

Switching to a mono is a task. My frame is just about complete and ready to send to the powder coaters. I am putting in a 2001 GSXR750 unit into my 80 1100E.

Again - not a trivial task - at least using the 2001 unit. Many mods including removing the old footpegs and using new rearsets off a 2001 1000. I'll post more pics of it when I get the frame back.

I took a break on this project and am back to it now. I'm not sure that I would recommend it to anyone unless you are prepared to work through issues as they arise. I'll try to give more details with the pics of the frame, but even then, what you really need is detailed drawings that I do not have. I relied on the use of trial and error fittings - many of them. A real pain in the you know what - very time consuming - to get the proper relationships.

I will be selling a set of Koni's when the project is closer to completion. I had these on the bike before I decided to gut it.

Comment

I would like to go to a monoshock rear, but it would be a slow process because of finances.
        Why do you want a monoshock rear end? It will not have a measurable performance advantage and will likely be heavier as well. Plus, as Swanny said, it is a chore to make it work. Since you mention finances as a limiter (aren't they always? :? ), you need to be able and willing to do it all yourself, such as machining, fabricating, welding, etc. And your bike would be off the road for a long time, even worse. If the conversion is for looks, then feel free, but you won't notice a performance advantage.

You would be much better off putting that money into a premium set of shocks, new swingarm bushings (convert to precision fit brass ones if you want a project) and fork upgrades (at minimum new springs, oil, brace and cartridge emulators) or even a complete new fork (now that would be a noticeable performance increase), along with 17" wheels to get fat, sticky radial rubber at the same time.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X