Experience with gas stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience with gas stabilizer

I have the four bikes, and a jeep parked for the colder seasons although I may take them out once or twice a month. I start them every couple weeks and wondered if anyone has used the stabilizer stuff and has it effected any performance, etc. I figure after a few weeks I should use it, but wanted other peoples' inputs........

It shouldn't cause any problems. I keep my tanks topped up with stabilized fuel all winter & take my bike out ocassionally when the weather permits. Has no effect on performance. I use a generic brand that's similar to Stabil but costs a couple $ less.

Comment

This is the first winter I have used a fuel stabilizer. The GT is down without the carbs so no worry there.
      I have it in the GS and have run the bike recently without any problems.
      I was told if you run good gas anyhow, you should really have no trouble over the winter storage.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I have never used any products related to any type of winterizing or long storage. But I don't let stuff sit either. I just make it a point to go out every weekend sometime and make sure they get a run. Even if it is just a start and warm up. Keeping the tank topped helps prevent rust and potential condensations from pushing the bike from a 55 60 degree garage out into the winter cold to run.

Comment

if you run stabal and sea foam, you will have less problems. learned the trick from the retierd farts here. thay run it in there boat motors. seen 10 year old boat motors run like brand spanking new. you know its bad when game wordens make you pull the boat out of the water to check to see if your running over size pistons. or a second hiden motor. the bigest motor thay can run on the local lake is a 9hp.

Comment

I use stabilizer anytime I don't expect to ride for a month. Then, if I come up lame that month doesn't stretch until the fuel gums. Bike shops love cleaning carbs in the spring!
            As to starting the bike while stored, if you can't take it for a good ride to get it HOT, you should leave it sit. Condensation in the crankcase from a warming engine is bad. It takes some time at fully warm to boil that stuff out, and you create more moisture in the cases every time you start the bike. Every text I've ever read on storing engines cautions against occasional starts to "preserve the seals", etc.

Comment

Never use the stuff!

Comment

Working...
              X