Purchasing Piston Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing Piston Rings

Ok, I need some help here, I am thinking of ordering new piston ring sets for the 79 GS1000LN I have. Bike bandit now has a schematic on its site for the bike and shows three part numbers for ring sets, One is discontinued. Anybody have any idea how I am to know which set to order? I am including the page with part numbers on it if someone knowledgeable is interested. If not I will have to take a trip down to the Suzuki shop 30 miles away when I get in from offshore to pick some young mechanic's brain for the answer. Thanks in advance!http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...=GS1000LN#stay

23-1 (478519-001) is standard bore
    23-2 (716725-001) is 0.5 mm oversize bore - discontinued
    23-3 (478499-001) is 1.0 mm oversize bore

Hope this helps

Comment

What Paul says You need to take it apart and verify what size pistons you have before ordering new ones, or if you know the history of the engine I would check with http://wwwRonAyers.com for parts

Comment

I know it well enough to know it has never had a ring job before.

Comment

Michael,

When I refreshed the top end on my 850, I ordered all my parts through Ron Ayers. Even with shipping, no one could beat their prices. I gave 20 bucks a set for the standard rings for my 850. The set you will need to order will depend on what the cylinders need. Take it apart and mic the cylinders in a plus patteren in three locations in each cylinder. I don't know what the specs are for your 1000, but if all is within specs, have the cylinders honed at a machine shop with a honing press. It will true the cylinders. If the cylinders are out of spec, then you will need to get them bored, and get new pistons and rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Falke
            If it's never had a ring job, it will be on standard size rings.
            If you are going to fit new rings, have it glaze-busted first.
            Be careful having it honed true, the process can make the cylinder oversize if not done carefully, then you'll end up having to have it bored to the next available oversize, & end up buying new pistons as well!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
              What Paul says You need to take it apart and verify what size pistons you have before ordering new ones, or if you know the history of the engine I would check with http://www.RonAyers.com for parts
              Where are you finding this stuff on that website? Everytime I go there they list no old GS bikes at all, just GSXRs and some dirt bikes. Anyway thanks for the info.

Comment

I'm in the process of re-ringing a 450LE, my shop manual doesn't mention glaze-busting. Is this something I must do, or should do? or even could do?

thanks...Sam

Originally posted by Paul
                Originally posted by Michael Falke
                If it's never had a ring job, it will be on standard size rings.
                If you are going to fit new rings, have it glaze-busted first.
                Be careful having it honed true, the process can make the cylinder oversize if not done carefully, then you'll end up having to have it bored to the next available oversize, & end up buying new pistons as well!

Comment

sralph: Yeah, if you switch rings you've got to deglaze the cylinders. You can use a tool with 3 stones on it or one that has a whole bunch of abbrasive balls on it. Since you've only got a twin cylinder it should be fairly cheap to pay a shop to do it. What manual have you got? That's a major ommission.

Steve

Comment

I've got both the Clymer and Haynes, and I didn't see it in either - though its posible I missed it.

If its not hard to do, and the tools aren't that pricey I'd like to do it myself. I am trying to make this as much a do it myslef project as possible.

Where would I look for some how-to info on deglazing?

thanks...Sam

Originally posted by srivett
                    sralph: Yeah, if you switch rings you've got to deglaze the cylinders. You can use a tool with 3 stones on it or one that has a whole bunch of abbrasive balls on it. Since you've only got a twin cylinder it should be fairly cheap to pay a shop to do it. What manual have you got? That's a major ommission.

Steve

Comment

Where are you finding this stuff on that website? Everytime I go there they list no old GS bikes at all, just GSXRs and some dirt bikes. Anyway thanks for the info.

If you enter the original part number the search engine will provide you with the updated part number.
                      S.

Comment

Working...
                      X