Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handlebar Lock screwy

Hey Gang,

Locked my handlebars last night when I stopped for a bite to eat. Came out and the key would not turn. I could get it to turn enough to unlock the handlebars but it appears that the square metal piece that locks the fork is not going up far enough to let me turn the key to start the GS450L.

Had to get the truck and haul it back home.(loads of fun). The key still works the other locks, gas tank, helmet, and I can even lock the forks still (yippy). But the key wont go the other way to the start position.

Any ideas??

Key Lock

I have had a similar problem with my GS1100G. But I suspect that it is the worn key and not my lock/ignition. I recently had two new copies made of my key. These are copies of a copy and they are tight for lack of a better word. My steering head lock also is a bit sticky so I don't use it. I have seen replacement lock sets in the Dennis Kirk catalog if you are thinking about replacing it. Another thing I have done is to spray WD-40 into the lock mechanism (not the key slot) to help losten things up. For what it's worth.
    GY

Comment

I've got the same problem, it takes several minutes of fiddling to get the steering lock unlocked. And it makes me nervous about locking it at all. It also makes me nrevous when I hear of people having to truck their bike home and buy a new lock.

I think it is because my key is worn and the mechanism of the steering lock demands better. For quite a while I've had in mind to get an new original key from the Suzuki shop, according to the key number, so I can see if that works OK. But it's one of those things that I never quite get around to. Perhaps one day.

Until then I lock the brake disc with a disc lock.

Kim

Comment

Handlebar Lock

Thanks for the replies. The problem I have is that I CAN get the fork unlocked its just that the bar that locks the fork doesnt seem to be going up far enough to me me turn the key to start.

Guess I'll try getting a new key cut from the dealer.

Thanks all for putting up with a newbie.

Comment

Re: Handlebar Lock screwy

Originally posted by FlyingBurrito
          Hey Gang,

Locked my handlebars last night when I stopped for a bite to eat. Came out and the key would not turn. I could get it to turn enough to unlock the handlebars but it appears that the square metal piece that locks the fork is not going up far enough to let me turn the key to start the GS450L.

Had to get the truck and haul it back home.(loads of fun). The key still works the other locks, gas tank, helmet, and I can even lock the forks still (yippy). But the key wont go the other way to the start position.

Any ideas??
          I had trouble with my lock/ign. cylinder on my GS550L back in 86, didn't think much of it till I was making a left hand U turn in a parking lot, as I was finishing the turn I throtled up a little and was thrown over to the right because the handle bars had locked in the full left position. Folded my right knee 90 degrees in the oppisite direction to which God had intended for it, broke my front brake lever and my helmet put one helluva dent in somebody's pickup door. Turns out the key ring with a dozen keys on it had caused the little roll pin, that holds the ign./lock cylinder in place, to break or vibrate out and the dang thing was just loose flopping around in there. Took 6 months for my knee to heal up from that incedent. So if your having troubles with yours, please inspect it carefully so you do not suffer a similar incedent.

Comment

Working...
          X