Total Seal Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Seal Rings

Has anyone actually used them on their GS? If so, how well did they perform? Also, how expensive were they? How was their service? Basically, everthing you know about them!!!!

Hap

Hap,

I had checked them out when I was rebuilding the top-end on my 850 earlier this year. I really wanted to try them, but there was quite a price difference. If I remember right, they wanted somewhere between $160 and $170 for four sets of rings. I got the factory rings for $20 per set. I did alot of research and found mixed reviews. They were mainly developed for auto racing engines, but did have bike applications. Some things I read was that the second ring, which was the actual gapless ring(the top ring was a standard ring) would cause too much pressure between the it and the top ring and cause blow by on the top ring. The machine shop where my neighbor works(he's the one that helped me work on the head afterhours) honed my cylinders and recommended not going with the gapless rings. They said the factory rings would work the best, especially for the price. My mechanic buddy from back home basically said the same thing.

Now, if you are doing a pure performance build, then the gapless rings would be the way to go. I corresponded with Total Seal via email and over the phone. The folks there are very helpful. I talked to service techs about the application, and customer service reps while discussing purchase prices. It was a positive experience, even though I didn't use their rings.

Comment

I would think There would be the posibility of the rings seizing from not having any gap in an air cooled motor

Comment

I have run the Total Seal rings on an air cooled VW engine that we raced in the Mickey Thompson Stadium races.

They are worth the money if you need that last bit of HP. There is no chance of ring seizure, since the ring end gap is the same as stock. There are two rings in the oil groove. Both rings have the same end gap as the stock oil ring but are indexed 180 degees on the piston.

The web site is www.totalseal.com and is very informative.

Comment

I noticed in their tests that they used total seal rings in both the upper and the lower groves in some examples and in only one grove in others...why the discrepancy?

Hap

Comment

It depends on the application. :twisted:

Comment

Hap,
              A few years back I was having trouble getting rings for a set of Cosworths. I contacted Ed Law from Total Seal and they were able to help. Recut the top two grooves to accept their rings and supplied rings for about $185. Haven't installed that topend yet but they do good work and the rings are supposed to work very well. Only one set of Gapless rings for my application. What makes them Gapless is that there are two thin rings for one groove and you turn the gaps 180 degrees away from each other. Cylinder pressures seals the gap between the two.

Comment

Working...
              X