clutch slipping problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch slipping problem

I've been restoring a 1982 GS450TZ I found abandoned near my brother's house. Not sure how many miles it had as it was missing the instrument cluster when I found it. Since then I've put on a new feul tank, tires, brake pads, rebuilt the carbs, drained brake line and a lot of maintanence things.

After finally getting everything together and firing her up I started to go down the alley gradually letting out the clutch and going along when I heard a very loud metallic PING and what felt like the back tire jolting. After I brought it back to the driveway I did the same thing only very slowly while my brother looked at the rear wheel and discovered when it pinged the rear wheel spun really fast for a half second kicking up a bunch of gravel and sliding before coming to a stop again.

I noticed that the clutch wasn't springy and rather jerky as I was moving about. I adjusted the clutch cable to proper specifications earlier but it got knocked around pretty good when I took out the airbox and carbs to rebuild.

Naturally I assume the clutch slipping and the clutch plates need to be replaced? What is your imput on the matter? If I do need new plates or even a new clutch assembly does anyone have any recommendations on new/used clutch plates? Should I try to find a clutch assembly on eBay or should I just buy new plates? Haven't investigated the clutch workings yet but thought I would get some imput before I bought a clutch aseembly/take apart my clutch.

This forum is a life saver, Thanks to all - Andy

What gear does it happen. please be sure of this answer.

Comment

It could also be the result of the clutch plates being gumed up/stuck together, you need to take the clutch apart and measure/inspect all of the parts

Comment

Thanks for the info guys

It happens in first gear, just starting out. I never got up to second as I was worried about losing control when the tire spun out and moving that fast (plus it sounded like it hurt/put some major stress on the bike). The whole thing happens in litterally a half second. The first time it happened I thought the rear tire had struck something on the bike, but turns out it was just the tire loosing traction from spinning too fast in place. I will take apart the clutch and investigate parts.

Does anyone know of an online retailer that sells clutch plates for a 450? So far I found Barnett lists some for the 450 but haven't found any retailers that carry them yet. I've gotten ripped off from so many salvage yards now I'm ready to just buy the parts new if I need them.

Comment

Re: clutch slipping problem

Originally posted by FissionPseudo
          I've been restoring a 1982 GS450TZ I found abandoned near my brother's house.
          Even though it was abandoned, I hope you have cleared ownership of the bike. The last thing you want is for the owner or possibly an insurance company taking it of you amongst other things.

Comment

Re: clutch slipping problem

That was the first thing that came to my mind when I started reading this thread. make sure you can get a title and tags for it before you put any money into it. It could have been stoled and then abandoned too.

Earl

Originally posted by Paul12

Even though it was abandoned, I hope you have cleared ownership of the bike. The last thing you want is for the owner or possibly an insurance company taking it of you amongst other things.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Basically when I found the 'bike' it was a rusty frame and that was about it. The engine was partially disassembled and missing most of it's parts. I basically put everything else on the bike.

Does the title/registrar record the serial numbers on the frame and engine? I hadn't thought about this (aparantly serious 8O ) issue very much since it was basically just the frame I was using.

I think what I will do is call/make an appointment to 'infer about a potential frame I'm considering buying from a junkyard to build a GS450 with' If the serial comes up hot or active or whichever status is worse I can look into salvage title details. If a salvage title requires a serial number on the frame (I'm guessing it does as that's the idea behind a title right?) I could be in trouble (can't just file it off then).

Man I feel kinda crooked about it but it was obvious the previous owner was finished with the bike and left it to 'die.' I found the remains of a crumpled gas tank nearby that had obviously been through some sort of accident. I think the previous owner got into a rough accident years back and threw the bike against a fence and left it there. Over the years people probably looted the componenets off of it. I just brought the poor lil fellow back to life. I guess if worst comes to worst I can always buy a new frame.

Does anyone know how a salvage title works?

Comment

Originally posted by FissionPseudo
                Thanks for the info guys

It happens in first gear, just starting out. I never got up to second as I was worried about losing control when the tire spun out and moving that fast (plus it sounded like it hurt/put some major stress on the bike). The whole thing happens in litterally a half second. The first time it happened I thought the rear tire had struck something on the bike, but turns out it was just the tire loosing traction from spinning too fast in place. I will take apart the clutch and investigate parts.

Does anyone know of an online retailer that sells clutch plates for a 450? So far I found Barnett lists some for the 450 but haven't found any retailers that carry them yet. I've gotten ripped off from so many salvage yards now I'm ready to just buy the parts new if I need them.
                IF YOU NEVER CHECKED TO SEE IF IT HAPPENS IN SECOND I DON'T BELIEVE YOU HAVE RULED OUT THE POSSIBILITY OF WORN DOGS IN THE TRANNY.

Comment

When you make application for title (which you must do to be able to register it for tags), DMV will run the VIN (serial number on the frame steering head).
                  As far as DMV is concerned, the legal owner is the last registered title holder.
                  Unless you can contact the last owner, and that owner still has the title to the bike and will endorse the back transferring ownership to you, you could find it difficult to become the legal owner. Buying another frame from a salvage yard may or may not result in your being able to get a salvage title. Some bikes are acquired by salvage yards with certificates of destruction which means they cannot be retitled, salvage or otherwise.

Earl

[quote="FissionPseudo"]Basically when I found the 'bike' it was a rusty frame and that was about it. The engine was partially disassembled and missing most of it's parts. I basically put everything else on the bike.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If you are somehow able to contact the original owner don't tell him that you have already fixed up the bike. He may decide he wants it back. Just tell him you found the frame and might want to start a project.

Comment

Working...
                    X