No announcement yet.

Clutch experts, advice needed please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just remember that many car oils meeting the latest standards also meet all earlier standards. The SG preference comes from such oils not needing to reduce certain additives (that are mostly to do with extreme conditions of metal to metal contact, not normal lubrication) because of their effect in cat converters. Stay clear of energy conserving oils as they usually with have friction modifiers that are not good for wet clutches. Anthing above a 30w is usually ok as they don't have to meet the energy conserving standards, but there are some 40w oils around that are energy conserving, so watch out.

I have copies of all these sort of oil articles I will put on when I get home.

Comment

saaz, thanks for the reply. I'll look forward to reading the articles.
      Just curious, what oil do you run?
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Some links are in the other oil thread..

I run a semi synthetic 15W-60 Penrite. Normally I would run a 20W-60 or 20W-50 mineral oil in summer, in fact all year round, just happened to have a drum of the 15W-60 around. I use the same oil in the car (5 litre V8). At the moment temperatures are above 30c.

The bike had 80,000kms on the rebuild and tends to warm up very quickly compared to standard. The better the quality of the oil, the better the gearbox behaves I find.

I cover the oil cooler in the dead of winter if I am doing short trips. I don't have cold clutch drag problems even at 0c temps, but I did put in standard suzuki plates....sorry to increase your paranoia on this! When warm it has that typical clunck, but does not lurch forward. With barnett plates I did have more clutch drag.

Comment

Saaz
          boy i get angry when you Aussies remind me that you have multiviscosity oils with a ???/60 spread in thrm. I wish i could get some without spending $8 a qt/litre

Comment

Dragging.....

Hi guys!
            I don't wish to rehash the subject but do you think such a dragging problem similar to this discussion has happened to my wifes machine?
            We got her 80 850G with a hopped up engine and a so called racing clutch. The clutch allways dragged bad with a hard pull. I pulled the obvious heavy springs & replaced with stock but the dragging has persisted......The cable is new but it did'nt occur to me that they changed the count of steel plate to friction plate.....anyone know the count off the top of the head.....if it is off that would explain alot!
            Rick.........

Comment

We love rehashing all subjects!

I don't have the 850 info at hand, but if you do check the clutch it may be worth giving all the plates a good clean, soak in engine oil then assemble. If the previous owner was not good on oil changes or used cheap oil it can gum up the plates a little, adding to the problem.

Comment

when checking your steel plate please dont lose sight of the fact(((at least on an 1100e)) that there is a steel disk that is held into the inner basket by a piece of what looks like a piano wire. I see many posts saying((again on the 1100 model)) that folks have done a complere change of clutch fibers and steels and give the count as 9 fibers and 8 steels.
                Just blurting out a thought on clutches.

Comment

Working...
                X