New Englander needs motor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Englander needs motor help

Hi all, I just reciently bought a 1983 gs1100e. I need to have the timing chain replaced, Its knocking, And mabey some general maintenance. I live in New Hampshire, But I can't find anyone who can work on my ride. If anyone knows a shop or a cert. machanic in the NH or New England area that can help me PLEASE let me know. I really want to ride in next years GS event in NE.

Thank you,

Matt

Check your tensioner first! Or buy a manual cam chain tensioner. Replacing the timing chain requires splitting the cases.
    How many miles has it got?
    I took my engine apart at 76 K miles and the timing chain was within spec. Of-course I replaced it anyway since everything was apart.
    There's a spec on chain stretch if you want to check:
    Take the slack out of the chain and measure the distance of 20 pins. (center of #1 to center of #20)
    the service limit is 157.80mm (6.213 inches).

You probably just have a misadjusted tensioner.

Comment

You DO NOT need to split the cases to replace a camchain, unless you are unwilling to split an endless chain or cannot get chain off a roll, which BTW is what any shop wil use to replace the chain. However I agree that the tensioer is the first place to look at fior your problem.
      Dink

Comment

Another member Billy Ricks ? wrote this
        With the tensioner removed from the cylinder block loosen the lock nut on the left side of the tensioner and back the slotted bolt out ? turn. Turn the knob on the right side of the tensioner, which in the Suzuki service manual is called a lock shaft handle, counterclock-wise. As you are turning the knob counterclock-wise push the pushrod all the way back. Keep turning the knob until it refuses to turn any further. With the pushrod still pushed in as far as it will go tighten the slotted bolt so that the pushrod will not plunge out. Remount the tensioner to the cylinder block. If the tensioner is not going in turn the crankshaft clockwise slowly to get slack in the cam chain on the intake side of the block. Loosen the slotted bolt ? turn allowing the pushrod to advance towards the cam chain. Tighten the lock nut but leave the slotted bolt loose by that ? turn. While turning the knob counterclock-wise, slowly rotate the crankshaft in reverse direction, counterclock-wise. This causes the chain to push the pushrod back. Release the knob and slowly turn the crankshaft in the normal direction, clockwise. You should see the knob rotate as the chain becomes progressively slackened. If it does the pushrod is obviously moving forward under spring pressure signifying the tensioner is in good operable condition. If it moves sluggishly or not at all that means the pushrod or the slotted bolt is sticking. If so remove the tensioner from the block again and inspect the pushrod. It could need cleaning or could be bent or galled. Further crank rotation will take the slack out of the cam chain._________________70% '85 GS700EF/30% GSX-R

Comment

You DO NOT need to split the cases to replace a camchain
          For some reason I thought using a replacement cam chain with a master link would risk breakage

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Vandeveer
            You DO NOT need to split the cases to replace a camchain
            For some reason I thought using a replacement cam chain with a master link would risk breakage
            Why camchain are in a constant lube situation, as long as they are installe d correctly there is no problem.
            Dink

Comment

Just scary thinking of all those valves getting bent I guess. Come to think of it drive chains live under much higher stresses and they have master links.

Comment

Hi Isaac.

I go for what Dink says. Unless you want to take the whole engine apart to do more work on it. If not and you do not have intentions to make the bike faster by replacing cams or similar, follow Dinks route.
                However, since being a mechanic and after splitting quite a few GS-engines they all shared at least two things: The guides are made of hard rubber wich get hard after a few years, even full of small cracks. Take the front guide, bend it a little and you?ll see. So if your tensioner works, I think all you need are a new tensionerarm and front guide. When they are worn it?s similar to an old and too long camchain. My bike had app. 25000miles on it when I replaced them due to noise. Now it has reached 40000miles and still works great. I?m replacing the oem chain for a HD one now but only because of wilder cams and since I?m doing the crankweld and the engine is apart.
                And surely you will get recommendations af a workshop from the bunch in here. GOOD LUCK

Comment

Matt,

I know a guy in Hubbardston, MA, not too far south of you, who owns a few GS bikes and who does some mechanic work for other people with GS bikes, including me.

He does good work and really knows GS bikes well, and I've been happy with him. But you have to understand that he does bike work for a hobby, working around his regular full-time job, and you can't expect him to work on your bike right away and have it ready for you in a day or two; it's more like a week or two.

If you still need a mechanic and don't mind waiting a little while, send me a PM and I'll hook you up.

Brion

Comment

This place was recommended by two people I know, but I have never gone there yet. They are also not very close to you.

Chips M/C clinic.
                    508-234-0200 in Northbridge Ma
                    1982 GS1000S Katana
                    1982 GS1100E

Comment

Matt, where in NH are you located ? It make a bit of diff. If you are down around Keene, you can try http://www.eddiesvintagemotorcycles.com/inventory.htm
                      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                      2000 Kawasaki Concours
                      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Or if your around Manchester, I might be able to lend a hand. I have been almost everywhere mechanically on my 81 1100 and have some work going on for the 83.

I have determined long ago that anything that needs to be done on my bikes, I'm better off doing it myself. I'd rather spend the money that I would have spent on labor on tools instead.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm lucky enough to live near Chip's. Highly recommend. He has an 83 1100e himself. Knows them inside and out. Very reasonable to deal with and won't try to talk you into repairs you don't need. He does all types of bikes in his shop and can order hard to get GS parts.

If you want to build your bike there's Harry's Machine Part's in Shewsbury, MA. Does good work but you better not want it in a hurry cause he takes care of his drag racing customers first.

Comment

Chip has quite afew bikes, his GS1000S with the side car is a killer!!
                            The Yamaha GTS is a really sweet bike, as is his wifes GS750ES with the side car painted the same colors and striped.

Great guy, great mechanic, and a friend of my sister and bro in law.
                            He's bailed me out more than once when I secrewed something up.
                            And never made me feel stupid, and he's reasonable.
                            I haul my bike(s) 75 miles for him to work on them.

Highly recommended in my book.
                            Keith
                            -------------------------------------------
                            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                            X