vibration!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vibration!!!!!!!!!!

i've got a 1983 gs750es with a hindle exhaust on it.
    the bike works very well but it has quite a bad vibration felt through the entire bike, at higher rpm's. no strange noises. i don't have the stock exhaust to put back on to see if its the header. engine mounts look okay.
    any ideas? are these bikes know for any vibrations?

Re: vibration!!!!!!!!!!

My 79 GS750 has a high freq buzz around 5000 rpm, but a few rpm
    more or less and its gone, Otherwise, it does not vibrate noticably. So, I would say NO, a bad vibration is NOT normal.
    First thing you need to do is narrow the problem down. Try riding the bike at 50 mph or so and pulling in the clutch, letting the engine go to idle and coasting. If the vibration is still there, then its probably in the running gear and you should be looking into alignment, bearings, tracking geometry etc. YOu need to know if its the engine or the frame, to proceed with a diagnosis.

Earl

Originally posted by jonathan smith
    i've got a 1983 gs750es with a hindle exhaust on it.
    the bike works very well but it has quite a bad vibration felt through the entire bike, at higher rpm's. no strange noises. i don't have the stock exhaust to put back on to see if its the header. engine mounts look okay.
    any ideas? are these bikes know for any vibrations?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

vibration

i did try pulling in the clutch lever. vibration was gone.

Comment

more vibes

how about tire balance??

Comment

Re: vibration

OK, so problem not likely in the running gear. Next, take it out and run it for maybe 1/2 mile in 2nd gear at 3000rpm, then 3rd gear at 3000 rpm then 4th and 5th (a half mile in each gear at 3000 rpm).
          If the vibration level changes with each gear change even though the engine is running the same rpm all the time, we would be looking at maybe transmission bearings or?.......

If the vibration doesnt change with gear, then try running it in OH, maybe 3rd at 3000, 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500 and 6000 rpm and let me know if there is any rpm where it is smooth and there is no vibration. Also let me know the span of the vibration. I.E. starts to vibrate at 4600, gets really bad by 5300, and tapers off and is gone at 5500.

We gotta know where to be looking for this gremlin. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by jonathan smith
          i did try pulling in the clutch lever. vibration was gone.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X