No announcement yet.

Maintenance before LONG trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has already been mentioned but tires are a big item. If you plan on riding more than 10k I would definitely go with the Elite II 491's or the Metzler 880/898 combo. I personally have had better mileage with the Elite II's usually at least 16k for a rear and more for a front.

I have a friend that uses another option as he like softer performance tires and runs Avons. He usually gets about 5k on a set of tires. He still takes long rides but months before he will make arrangements to have tires already paid for and arrangements to have them installed at dealers along the way.

I addition to things already mentioned I also carry a spare headlight bulb with me.

Mike

Comment

Road Trip

Get a GOOD rain suit !!!! Good luck. We expect a full report with pictures. Dave GS1100EZ.

Comment

Getting closer...

Well, the post that started this thread went up in January; it's now June, and I'm getting a better sense of how much time I really have for this trip (2+ weeks) and where I'll be going (Wisconsin and Minnesota are OUT; Newfoundland and Nova Scotia look good.)

I've change the petcock, gotten new a new throttle cable, and have the new Electrex stator and RR ready to install. I've done a whole bunch of maintenance on the bike following the simple rule: if I need to take a tool out of the house toolchest, I keep the tool with the bike and get a replacement for the house when I get around to it.

One really dumb question, though: how the heck do I get to the underside of the battery box to replace the RR?

Comment

Re: Getting closer...

Originally posted by jeneralist
          Well, the post that started this thread went up in January; it's now June, and I'm getting a better sense of how much time I really have for this trip (2+ weeks) and where I'll be going (Wisconsin and Minnesota are OUT; Newfoundland and Nova Scotia look good.)

I've change the petcock, gotten new a new throttle cable, and have the new Electrex stator and RR ready to install. I've done a whole bunch of maintenance on the bike following the simple rule: if I need to take a tool out of the house toolchest, I keep the tool with the bike and get a replacement for the house when I get around to it.

One really dumb question, though: how the heck do I get to the underside of the battery box to replace the RR?
          You'll need to pull the battery box out. Not as hard as it looks.

Another suggestion. Dismantle and clean all electrical earths. I had intermittant electrical problems that were solved by this treatment.

Comment

Early this week -- Monday or Tuesday, depending on how long it takes me to get paperwork out of the DMV -- I will be starting off on My Summer Road Trip. At this point, it looks like I will be heading for Nova Scotia from NJ. (Hey, if the forecast to the north is solid rain for a week, and to the south is clear and cool, I'm going to change my plans.)

At this point, this is my "flight maybe." If things were more definite, they'd be flight plans.

Step 1: North! Thru NY and CT to Vermont Rt. 100, as far north as Montpelier. Stop at the Barre Diner (in Barre) -- they do all local food.

Step 2: East! Across VT and NH, thru Maine, to Bar Harbor. Hope to catch the ferry sometime Thursday (there are 2 daily sailings.)

Step 3: Ferry to Yarmouth. If the weather is really good and my derriere is comfy, I *may* forgo the ferry and ride thru New Brunswick. But I doubt it.

Step 4: Across Nova Scotia (clockwise or counterclockwise?) to Antigonish for the Highland Games the weekend of the 17th. Try to get there by Friday to see guys in skirts toss telephone poles.

Step 5: to North Sydney on Cape Breton Island in time for the ferry, Monday the 19th at oh-dark-hundred. The ferry to Argentia (the east coast of Nova Scotia) only comes 3 times a week, so I don't want to miss it. If I *do* miss it, then take the ferry to Port Aux Basques on the west coast of Newfoundland instead.

Step 6: to the East Pole. Just outside of St. John's is the farthest point east in North America (OK, not counting the Aleutian Islands.) Hope to get there Tuesday the 20th. (Note: if any of the Canadian readers of this forum can tell me that the ferry between Fortune and St. Pierre accepts motorcycles, please tell me now so that I can adjust my plans -- I'd love to tell my friends that I rode my motorcycle to France )

Step 7: Across Newfoundland to Gros Morne National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site. See the fjords.

Step 8: If time, weather, and buttocks permit, north to L'Anse Aux Meadows, where the Vikings landed. Holdeth Not Thine Breath, That Thou Shalt Not Be Disappointed.

Step 9: To Port Aux Basques for the ferry back to Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.

The route home from there is even less well defined. It may be a straight shot down I95.

Since my first post about this way back when, I have put in the new Electrex RR and stator; new Metzler tires (sticking with my old 33/88 combo); new fork seals and fork oil; inspected the brakes -- plenty of pad left; new petcock (not a Pingel, I'd forget to turn it off); new hoses between the air box and the carbs, new throttle cable.... I've got my tent, my mp3 player, and my plush groundhog to keep me company. (Some people bring teddy bears. I figure, with a groundhog, I'll alway have a weather prediction.)

Also since my first post, I've chatted a lot with some really kind and thoughtful folks here. I'll check in at the end of the trip!

Knocking wood and crossing fingers, [/b]

Comment

Originally posted by basaraj
              Interesting question.

....Then I would make sure I have a good cell phone with a couple of spare batteries, $500 cash, a road service card, a credit card, a bottle of Jack Daniels and a gun.
              Just make sure the bike is in good condition -- parts are available everywhere -- delivery takes time!

If your cellpphone service includes roaming, bring it along. CAA (afiliated with AAA) is likely the best road package -- make sure you have the coverage for your bike, cash is always handy, but your credit cards will be universally accepted -- no need to grease any palms to get service. Give a miss on both the Jack Daniel's and the gun. You'll have more fun sampling local beverages along the way -- there's a great wiskey distillery in Nova Scotia, and excellent local liquor, beers & wines along the way.

Canada customs frowns on firearms

If you are travelling to Newfoundland, and are touring, allow far more time than you think to truly visit the province. Its 565 miles from Port aux Basques to St. John's on (mostly) two lane highway, but the best of the province is along the coast, away from the Trans Canada Highway -- take time to speak with folks there -- they love to share their experiences, and will widen yours.

Maritime weather is EXTREMELY variable. be sure to prepare for this with raingear, and time -- you can't barrell through the fog at normal highway speeds, and expect to survive animal encounters. Allow extra time for bad weather days, and time to really visit the places you are travelling.

Take LOTS of pictures, you'll want the memories

Share your tale with those here on the board -- many live vicariously through the tales others!

SV

Comment

Originally posted by jeneralist

Step 5: to North Sydney on Cape Breton Island in time for the ferry, Monday the 19th at oh-dark-hundred. The ferry to Argentia (the east coast of Nova Scotia) only comes 3 times a week, so I don't want to miss it. If I *do* miss it, then take the ferry to Port Aux Basques on the west coast of Newfoundland instead.

That ferry generally works on a reservations basis. They may be able to include a motorcycle, but check first. It used to be an 18 hour trip, so be prepared to sleep on the deck for a while.

Step 6: to the East Pole. Just outside of St. John's is the farthest point east in North America (OK, not counting the Aleutian Islands.) Hope to get there Tuesday the 20th. (Note: if any of the Canadian readers of this forum can tell me that the ferry between Fortune and St. Pierre accepts motorcycles, please tell me now so that I can adjust my plans -- I'd love to tell my friends that I rode my motorcycle to France )

This ferry was a passenger ferry only when I travelled it some years ago. There has traditionally been no vehicle traffic between the two. The trip to France is a unique experience, though.

Step 7: Across Newfoundland to Gros Morne National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site. See the fjords.

Allow time. Its about a 500 mile ride

Step 8: If time, weather, and buttocks permit, north to L'Anse Aux Meadows, where the Vikings landed. Holdeth Not Thine Breath, That Thou Shalt Not Be Disappointed.

A long day from Gros Morne, if a return trip is planned. Whatch out for sheep on the road.

[/b]

Comment

Working...
                X