Headlight wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight wiring

If I'm wiring in a 3-spade plug in order to switch to a replaceable halogen bulb, which of the 3 is the ground, low beam and high beam. There must be a system. Thanks!! :roll:
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

I have a Suzuki service manual for the GS750L that I think is correct for your bike. It shows a B/W wire as common going to one side of the headlight. It has W wire going to the middle terminal and a Y wire going to the other side. There are no numbers or terminal position on the schematic, just a drawing of the filament with the three wires going to it. I don't think it will matter which end of the filament is common and which is the bright. The dim is attatched to the middle of the filament.

One side of the filament is common - B/W
    Middle of the filament is dim - W
    Other side of the filament is high - Y

Does this make sense? If not, let me know and I will try to explain more.

Terry

Comment

Terry,

I was born in Port Arthur too.

Hap

Comment

St. Mary's Hospital - I think the in the same hospital and year that Janis Joplin was born. I've got a lot of relatives in that area. My father was transfered to Victoria by Dupont when I was a baby. How'd you know where I was born???

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
          St. Mary's Hospital - I think the in the same hospital and year that Janis Joplin was born. I've got a lot of relatives in that area. My father was transfered to Victoria by Dupont when I was a baby. How'd you know where I was born???

Terry
          My sister was born in St. Mary's. I was born at Park Place Hospital. A good friend of mine sold Janis' house about three years ago, he lived there for about 15 years. As far as knowing where you were born - remember the visitor guestbook at my web site?

Comment

if my memory is working if you look at the bulb top pin is hi left is ground rt is low

Comment

Glad your memory's working Lynn. Mine doesn't work very well any more. I did remember signing Hap's guest book after I posted but it took a while. By the way, Hap, you sure have a nice looking family. How do you live with so many women. I only have two daughters, don't know if I could handle another.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
                By the way, Hap, you sure have a nice looking family. How do you live with so many women. I only have two daughters, don't know if I could handle another.
                It is a function of how far you can go into mental madness! Now I can't live without them!

Hap

Comment

finding the ground on a 3 pin headlamp-- i would guess that electrically you would want to gind the wire that is commom --use the sealed beam itself and take ohms readings between two terminals--you snpuld end up with three readings. note which two terminals give you the largest ohms eading and i believe that the third terminal is the ground--then i think tht the hi beam connectoion would be the reading between the ground and one of the other two terminals that is the highest--as always a guess

Comment

As far as I know all headlights plug into a 3 prong receptacle.
                    There are three prongs on the headlight in apattern so you cannot
                    plug it in incorrectly. NO brainer way of determining which wire is which..........
                    Take a 12 volt test bulb in its socket with the two wires. (an old turn signal will do just fine) Touch one wire to the battery + and the other wire to the battery -. If the bulb lights, it is working.

Now, unplug the headlight. Connect one wire of your test bulb to the bike's battery negative terminal. Turn bike ignition to on, turn headlight switch to on, turn high/low beam switch to high beam.
                    connect 2nd wire of test bulb to one of the three receptacle slots.
                    If test light does not come on, switch hi/lo beam switch to lo beam.
                    If light still does not come on, then that is ground or common.
                    If light does come on, change hi/lo beam setting. Light should go off. (remember which setting it comes on at) If you have identified ground and either hi or low beam outlets, it mayl be possible to deduce the function of the remaining outlet. :-) :-)

Earl
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

According to my Clymer manual for a 1980 GS750LT, this is the wiring.

With the headlight facing away from you, the high beam is on the left. It shows it as a yellow wire.

The center terminal (should be higher than the other two) is the low beam.

The right terminal is common.

The Clymer manual has a picture of the lamp and connectors, so I believe this is correct.

Lamp shining away from you - looking at the back. I = tang on lamp.

I - White wire for low
                      Yellow wire for HIGH beam - I I - Black/White wire to ground

Other ends of wires go to :
                      White to headlight switch
                      Yellow to headlight switch and to high beam indicator lamp
                      Black/White to frame of bike (negative terminal on battery)

I tried to measure the resistance on my lamp with my Fluke meter and did not get much difference in resistance.

Now, are you totally overwhelmed with information?

Good luck,

Terry

Comment

Sorry, but the diagram with the I's representing the connector didn't come out correctly. The three should be like this:

--------------------------------------I - White wire for LOW beam
                        Yellow wire for HIGH beam - I__I - Black/White wire to ground

Ignore the dashes and underscores. It's the only way I could get the spacing to come out right.

Terry

Comment

Re: Headlight wiring

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                          If I'm wiring in a 3-spade plug in order to switch to a replaceable halogen bulb, which of the 3 is the ground, low beam and high beam. There must be a system. Thanks!! :roll:
                          say charlie
                          are you placing a 8 inch sealed beam with something?? I am interested in doing this on my bike and would loke to know what parts you are using

Comment

Author

No, Slow, I'm just trying to get back to normal. I removed the fairing and the original owner lost the stock lens and had "clipped" off (and lost) the original plug so now that I have a lens and bulb, I need to wire it in.

I appreciate everyone's help with this one. :roll:
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Hi,

I don't want to create any confusion, and I'm working from memory (high risk!) as I sit here at work, but I agree with SqDancerLynn1 that the left pin is the ground (common). Last evening I was checking out the bulb in the used Windjammer I recently bought (both beams work!); I'm fairly certain ground was on the left, looking into the pin end of the bulb.

Comment

Working...
                              X