Help Needed Removing Stator Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed Removing Stator Cover

In the fall I discovered that the stator in my GS650GLD is failing. I wanted to pull off the stator cover to take a peek, but the cover is giving me some heavy resistance.

I've read in previous posts about using penetrating oil around the cover's seal and "winding cables around the case" to neutralize the magnetic pull? Will either of these tips work? I've also read in numerous places I should never try to pry the cover off.

Does any one have any other tips on how to safely remove the stator cover? In the mean time, I am working on cleaning all my electrical connections.

Please advise

oh man, here we go again!

Comment

First make sure all of the bolts are removed. Tap the cover with a rubber mallot to break the gasket seal Clean the outside of the case and wash your hands. Grab ahold of the cover and PULL

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
        oh man, here we go again!
        You resisted the temptation Steve You are a strong man.

lynn is correct. the resistance will be caused by magnetism after the cover is loose and has fooled many of us. follow her instructions. They are accurate.

Comment

I really, really thought hard about it...!!! :twisted:

Comment

You guys are missing the fun!! THE OIL THREAD HAS STARTED! 8O :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
              You guys are missing the fun!! THE OIL THREAD HAS STARTED! 8O :roll:
              I guess you meant again . Actually i never hear enough discussion on oil

Comment

stator cover

hello, when I had to change the gasket on my 850's stator cover the location bushing at the front gave me a real pain in the a$rse . I had to slowly wiggle it and pull at the same time. over time it finally succumbed to my stubborness and i cleaned up the bushing as it had corroded itself fast in the hole. Just be careful and good luck

Comment

I second the rubber mallet approach as it's worked well for me in the past.

Jeff

Comment

Can any one backup or support the "winding wire" around the casing to neutralize the magnetic field

Comment

Originally posted by mjwGS650GL
                      Can any one backup or support the "winding wire" around the casing to neutralize the magnetic field
                      Yes, this is true...but, only if you wear a pointed aluminum foil hat that is grounded to a cold water pipe. Then you must utter the correct incantation (see 'synthetic oil' thread). Also if you encounter a particularly stubborn case it might be neccessary to perform this operation on a bleak and windswept moor in the dark of the moon. But, no matter what, don't pry it apart with a screwdriver, crowbar, tire tool, or Swiss Army knife. Keep tapping that side cover with the rubber mallet, pulling and screaming at it. It will come off! And remember "it builds character!"

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                        Originally posted by mjwGS650GL
                        Yes, this is true...but, only if you wear a pointed aluminum foil hat that is grounded to a cold water pipe. Then you must utter the correct incantation (see 'synthetic oil' thread). Also if you encounter a particularly stubborn case it might be neccessary to perform this operation on a bleak and windswept moor in the dark of the moon. But, no matter what, don't pry it apart with a screwdriver, crowbar, tire tool, or Swiss Army knife. Keep tapping that side cover with the rubber mallet, pulling and screaming at it. It will come off! And remember "it builds character!"
                        ROTFLMAO 8O 8O 8O

THAT WAS TRULY THE KING OF POSTS JIM :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

Scotty! Thanks bro!

Comment

Working...
                          X