Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to replace my pads and front disc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace my pads and front disc...

Think the linings are asbestos? If so I think I'd rather not mess with it. Anyone know bout what I should expect to pay for a compelete brake job (new disc, remachined drum, new pads)? Thanks.

Don't know what someone would charge for brake job. unless the rear drum is totally wasted you should be able to just replace the brake shoes. Other wise the wheel will have to be rebuilt with a new hub/drum. same with the front Find a good used rotor if yours is worn too thin. I don't know anybody that machines MC rotors or drums. So talk to your repair shop about what they can and can not do

Comment

SqDancerLynn1 is right, shoes and pads come together and should not be much money, even a new rotor may not be much but replacing drums or calipers is another story.

By the way, if you're worried about asbestos problems from the brake pads... don't... it's a different type of asbestos fiber. NESHAP regulations only apply to friable (best described as brittle) asbestos materials.

Comment

thanks for the info...I've done disc brakes before, just never drums. So the drum won't have to be remachined for the new shoes? I just have to stick the new ones in there? I'd just have my front disc remachined, but its got some small chucks out of it and I don't think it's thick enough to have em machined out.

Comment

Unless the drum is badly scored, I'd leave it alone.

The only question I would ask is....is the drum fairly true or is it out of round?

If it is not fairly true, it would give a pulse on the brake pedal every time you applied the rear brake. The worse the pulse, the more you need work.

If not, then just remove/replace and ride.

Enjoy it. Hope you have good weather.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X