fried fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fried fuse

I went to hook up something, pulled the fuse cover off and the MAIN was melted into the box, but bike still runs, 82gs11e???

Meltdown!!!!!!

Bost:
    OK..first you need to disassemble the box(battery disconnected first of course) keep track of which wires go where(write it out with illustrations that you can decipher) the trick is to pick apart the melted sections to get to the fuse itself.Once you get to the fuse you will probably notice the fuse is intact but is of a rating way too high eg.30 amp as opposed to the 10 amp.Depending on the damage you may have to get a replacement single seperate fuseholder & reuse the box for all the other fuses.If the rating of the suspect fuse is correct you have some poor connections which WILL make for a heat buildup.If the damage is too much you really should consider getting a whole new box.It really should'nt be too much $$.
    By the way what were you "hooking up" that may have caused this & why?
    Rick....
    Ps: if you do get a replacement box you can make sure of good connections

Comment

thanks Rich, i was hooking up an accessory plug for cell ect, took off helmet lock and used the fixture by shock, took off cover to use screw posts for plug and noticed the melted plastic, and the 20amp fuse, thank you for the help

Comment

A bad/dirty connection on the fuse will also cause the fuse to get hot and melt the fuse holder

Comment

If you switch the fuse box you'll need one that takes 2 power inputs. Atleast my 1100 needs this and it's older than yours. One is for fuses that always have power on, the other is for fuses that are switched by the key.

Steve

Comment

I had the same problem, the entire box melted. I replaced the entire fuse holder with a fuse block bought at an electronics store. The reason the block melted was too much resistance on the wires due to poor electrical connections. Make sure all your connections are clean, tight and wiring is soldered to the fuse block not just connected with spade connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Falke
              I had the same problem, the entire box melted. I replaced the entire fuse holder with a fuse block bought at an electronics store. The reason the block melted was too much resistance on the wires due to poor electrical connections. Make sure all your connections are clean, tight and wiring is soldered to the fuse block not just connected with spade connectors.
              Second that! Bad connections anywhere on the bike can lead to exactally what Michael said. I know this first hand! Clean them all up good when you get a chance. Take a weekend and go connection hunting and make sure they are all good connections everywhere you can. This is mostly true of an older bike but can happen on a newer one as well if there is early corosion.

Comment

If you're going to clean the electrical connections then don't forget the ground wires. If the connection on the fuse panel gets bad enough it could fry the regulator/rectifier. Better yet, mount it directly to the frame.

Comment

Working...
                X