exhaust modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust modification

I'd like my '80 GS450L to be a little louder.
    Not a whole lot, not obnoxious, but throaty
    and rumbly, or as close as it can get. Can
    someone give me some idea how to get the
    things off the end of the mufflers so that i
    can take some of the guts or wadding or
    whatever is inside of there out to make it
    somewhat louder, and if anyone knows
    more, what else i need to do to make it
    turn out right? Thanks.

Byron.

I would keep the originals in storage. buy some used ones from salvage yard to experament with

Comment

Re: exhaust modification

Originally posted by odiekokee
      I'd like my '80 GS450L to be a little louder.
      Not a whole lot, not obnoxious, but throaty
      and rumbly, or as close as it can get. Can
      someone give me some idea how to get the
      things off the end of the mufflers so that i
      can take some of the guts or wadding or
      whatever is inside of there out to make it
      somewhat louder, and if anyone knows
      more, what else i need to do to make it
      turn out right? Thanks.

Byron.
      Hey Byron
      I did just what you wanted to my old Kawasaki 600 eliminator. the first thing i did was take a long steel rod and slide it into the muffler untill it reached a stop--the stop is usually a washer that is tack welded onto the end of the central tube. Then i took a hammer and wacked the thing lose.it should just break on one side and bend out of the way--i found no diference in my carb mixture reading, just a little louder sound. Then the next move was to drill holes in the flat surface that surrounds the exhaust hole(some bikes already have them..--again no diference in my plug readings. HIGH TECH EH???? my brother took the muffler off his and drilled out the rivets after which he twisted the innards out of the muffler. Then he totally removed the center tube by ginding off the the welds. He drilled nice neat holes in the end plate and re rivited it on--the results were excellent.
      (((the idea of getting a used one to experiment with is quite sensable)))though--

Comment

I have an 88 GS40L. When I bought it the baffles were completely removed. The previous owner did this and in the process ruined the muffler and did not bother to put the ends back on the exhaust. Needless to say it was very loud. In my opinion the way this was done it did not sound very good at all. Maybe if the ends were put back on it would muffle some of the sound a little. I agree that you should try to find an exhaust system to experiment with, if you do not ike what you have created you can always put your originals back on. Good luck.

Comment

The owner of my bike previous to me had car glasspacs welded into place. the rear pegs had to be removed and the carbs aren't set right at all, but this did produce a rather large amount (if not quality) of sound. Can't wait to get them replaced.........

Comment

baffled baffles

I recently experimented on my 1150E exhaust.

I started by drilling out the rivets and removing the baffles. In the process of removing them I damaged one of the end plates. It sounded awful when I started it up. I wanted to put the ends back on but coudn't so I had to make new ones. I went to the hardware store and bought a sheet of 12 gauge (appx 3/32") mild steel. Using simple tools (jig saw, file, drill) I cut two circle plates the diameter of the inside of the exhaust. After that I cut two small holes in the center of both about an 1" in diameter. Then drilled the rivet holes, spray painted them flat black and riveted them on.

With the new plates on it sounds really good.

Comment

i don't see anytthing i recognize as rivets?
              any ideas?

i see end plates that look like disks with holes around a center hole, where the exhaust comes out, and the other holes are covered from the inside with another solid looking disk.

Comment

Say Byron
                Have you removed the muffler so you can look into it from both ends

Comment

exhaust note

You might want to take the exhaust off and inspect it carefully before doing anything. There is probably something very simple you can do to change the sound short of tearing out the baffle. Don't forget to use plenty of penetrating oil.

Can you drill out the holes that are covered? Starting with a couple and listening to it to decide if you like it. Then a couple more if your not satisfied.

Keep us posted.

Comment

well, the only way i see to take off the mufflers *hoping someone knows somethign i don't* is to have the welds torched.
                    i admit i'm ignorant when it comes to this stuff, so i hope y'all know how to tell me how to go about trying.

Thanks.

Comment

does anybody have any pics of these kind of mods in the process of being performed? This would be interesting and enlightening. especialy to odiekokee.

Comment

Originally posted by krash
                        does anybody have any pics of these kind of mods in the process of being performed? This would be interesting and enlightening. especialy to odiekokee.
                        Thats a tough order Krash we are all so busy showing our bike off that ill be shocked to find any one with photos of an exhaust mod--i can take pictires of a removable baffel and post them on one of my website pages it you think it will help Byron???

Comment

exhaust note

I apologize for not asking this earlier. Have you considered an aftermarket system?

Comment

i have considered, but at the moment am on a VERY limited buget.
                            for now, working on modifying what i have untill i can afford what i
                            want. > can anyone tell me how to remove the mufflers alltogather
                            so that i can attempt to figure it out that way? i hate to keep buggin
                            the black ribbon riders around here, they're all professionals, and
                            do their riding just for fun. i know they don't mind me hanging around
                            and asking thousands of questions, but they do this for a living all the
                            time and i don't want them to have to put up with it in their offtime
                            too, so if i can gett the answers here i'd rather.

Comment

Not to ask a dumb question, but why? Having ridden Sportsters with drag pipes and many Jap bikes, I'll take a quiet exhaust any day. Harleys are one of the nicest sounding things when they go by, but after a 2-3 hour ride on them, bring your Excedrin. I'm not slamming Harleys or their riders mind you, just my experiences.

Comment

Working...
                              X