1982 GS550LT NO POWER ON ACCELERATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS550LT NO POWER ON ACCELERATION

For the past 18 months or so I have been restoring an 82 Suzuki GS550LT.While I was taking the bike to be tested it was very noticeable that there was very little power,(even crawling through the gears)I could barely reach 40mph.I am pretty sure it`s not the clutch.I would like to know if anyone else out there has suffered a similar problem and what the solution might be.Thanks,Neil

Maybe you have cracked carb diafragms (or however you spell that...)

Comment

or just dirty carbs. it maybe time to clean them thoughly. take your plugs out and tell us what they look like.

ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I just took out the plugs and discovered that plugs 1 and 4 were somewhere between normal condition and lightly carbon fouled whilst plugs 2 and 3 were pretty badly carbon fouled,according to the workshop manual,(dry black sooty deposits leading to misfire and weak spark.Caused by an over-rich fuel/air mixture,faulty choke operation or blocked air filter).What I do not understand is that 2 plugs are reasonable and 2 are pretty bad.Does each carb have an air/fuel mixture screw and how do you set them up properly.Thanks for taking the time,Neil

Comment

I just took out the plugs and discovered that plugs 1 and 4 were somewhere between normal condition and lightly carbon fouled whilst plugs 2 and 3 were pretty badly carbon fouled,according to the workshop manual,(dry black sooty deposits leading to misfire and weak spark.Caused by an over-rich fuel/air mixture,faulty choke operation or blocked air filter).What I do not understand is that 2 plugs are reasonable and 2 are pretty bad.Does each carb have an air/fuel mixture screw and how do you set them up properly.Thanks for taking the time,Neil

Comment

sounds like your carbs are dirty
            best bet would be to take all 4 apart and clean them like in the book here on teh site. then go through and synce and set the mixtures

ryan
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x

Comment

Looks very likely thats what I`m going to have to do.I am working for the next couple of days so it`s going to be next week before I let you know what happens.I am dreading doing this but I suppose if I go by the book it should be a breeze.I saw the picture of your bike,perfect.Many thanks for the help,Neil.

Comment

don't be scared of the rebuild, it's easy, just take your time, use the right tools (impact screw driver, automatic center punch, carb dip, carb spray, and follow the booklet) it should work out fine. if you have any questions about it just ask us. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

just take your time.

ryan
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x

Comment

I had bought an electronic ignition for the bike.I decided that the easier option would be to fit that before stripping the carbs.I can`t believe the differance,power is there by the handfull.Now when I accelerate I have to throttle back as I can feel the clutch slipping a bit.Next job is going to be adjusting or replacing the clutch.I`ll let you know in a day or two how it went. :? 8O

Comment

if you have to throttle back with your 550 you should try the bigger bikes :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Adjusted the clutch today and went out for a test run.1982 Suzuki GS550LT,32,000 on the clock and me riding it at 85,(I am nearer 18 stone than 17).I could still feel the clutch slip a little and there is still a little backfiring so there should be a little more to come.What do you guys think,am I at the top end of this little bikes capbilities.

Comment

Your bike should go over 100 MPH easily if in good condition, my little 450 2-cylinder did 105 top with 50.000 miles on it (import from Canada btw). All the workshop manuals I've had have different jetting specified, usually smaller jets and suchs for the US and CAN bikes, could differ some horses maybe.

Comment

I was going to suggest ignition problems, but it looks like you found that out. 1 and 4 are fired by the same coil just as 2 and 3 are.

Comment

Working...
                          X