Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tubes between airbox and carbuerator Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubes between airbox and carbuerator Question!

1980 gs1100 EX

I just rebuilt the carbs and the bike is not idleing, the bike will slowly lose idle until it dies (at best case). ill increase the idle and the bike will hold at the new rpm temporarily but then it will innevitably begin its slide to death.

NOTE:When reassembling my bike i found that the Tubes (airbox flanges) connecting the carb to the airbox cannot be made flush. so i have strapped the tubes to the carb side and let the excess lead into the airbox, its not an excessive gap, but they are not snapped in. Could that be giving me my idle problem? and how can i fix that?

If there is any air leak into the carbs, it's going to run lean but I would think it would still idle. You can spray some WD-40 or electrical contact cleaner arond the rubber airbox boots and if you get a blip in your idle, then you definitely have a leak. It almost sounds like you might not be getting fuel to the carbs. Make sure that the vacuum line is connected to the fuel petcock and that it's on the "on" position. You may also want to set it to prime for a couple of minutes prior to make sure you're getting fuel to the float bowls. What exactly did your carb rebuilt consist of?

Comment

on my number 4 carb i replaced the paper gasket on the float bowl, and i replaced the float. i put it back together and slapped it in.

Comment

So it's just the number 4 carb you worked on? Are all your hoses and cables connected properly? When you changed the float, did you adjust the tab that adjusts the float height at all? However, even if 1 float was off, it should still hold an idle. Both your carbs and airbox should sit pretty much flush with the edges of the boots. Try wiggling your carbs around to see if you can get them to fit better.

Comment

Working...
        X