Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake work questions...

Hi All,

I have owned my GS550L since 1989 and have never done the brakes myself (although I think I had them done once). My rears still appear to be functioning properly, but the fronts are all messed up in several ways (although they do work).

First some background on the problems. early on I experienced trouble with surface rust on what were pristine rotors. Since I'm sharp as a tack, I decided that I'd coat the rotors one winter with light oil and do a thorough cleaning in the spring before riding. Guess what? It didn't work out that way! Oil got onto the pads and I spent hours cleaning them up before they worked well enough that I was willing to ride. Over time (and with additional cleaning) they improved, but bottom line -- they need replacing. Second issue -- the brake fluid is a beautiful shade of orange! Honestly, I thought it was supposed to be that color so I never even thought about changing the fluid until Ryan or Domino showed me their resevoir (at the Toys For Tots ride last month) filled with beautiful clear brake fluid...

My questions:

First, any advice in general regarding changing the fluid pads, etc. ??

Second, any advice on how best to clean off the oil residue from the rotors??

Any help is much appreciated!

Steve 8)

brake fluid change is pretty straightforward, use a good quality DOT 3 or 4 fluid, and keep the resevoir filled as you bleed out the old fluid. buy the quart size at least, 2 prefereably, and use them to flush out the system. As for brake pads, use a god name brand like EBC or Vesrah, etc. pads and opinions of pads vary, just do not use a scintered pad, as it wil chew up the rotors ( general rule: if the bike didn't come with scintered, and most all early GS's didn't, teh don't use them.) for 'degreasing' teh rotors, any good brake cleaner will work well. :twisted:

Comment

Thanks Tim!

I figured it would be fairly straightforward but figured I'd ask anyway, just to play it safe.

Regards,
      Steve 8)

Comment

Steve,

All of this is pretty straightforward. I've done pads and fluid several times. We could put it on our winter garage session list.

Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

joe this list gets longer and longer and the winter shorter and shorter :twisted: :twisted:
          i haven't forgoten about my list either so we'll see here soon as adam takes care of his stuff and the gasket works so i can get one.

ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

right now is the perfict time to do a hole brake system check. remove and inspect all the parts.

check in the phone book for a auto parts store that can make brake hoses. get the proper brake line wrinches. the right tool will save you time and cash in the long run.

if you dont have a lot of rust in the system and the rubber hoses look bad thay should be able to just cut the crip band off the old hoses and replace the rubber with a new one.

some times you can save a few bucks doing it this way.

Comment

I went to the two main hydraulic shops in Sudbury and neither would sell me hose rated for brake fluid. :? I know it's possible to reuse the inner fittings as CAT fittings are worth a fortune and it's done frequently...so what kind of hose do you use? Regular hydraulic?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                I went to the two main hydraulic shops in Sudbury and neither would sell me hose rated for brake fluid. :? I know it's possible to reuse the inner fittings as CAT fittings are worth a fortune and it's done frequently...so what kind of hose do you use? Regular hydraulic?

Steve
                I assume you're asking Gremlin this question, as I haven't even contemplated replacing my hoses yet ... I'll have to check them, but I don't recall seeing any obvious problems with the hose. They are 24 years old though...

Regards,
                Steve 8)

Comment

darn work and cold is keeping me away from the computer.

i have a auto parts store here thay can order any type of brake hose thats on the market. on some things in my area i am very lucky we have mines and a indy car builder neer town. the last time i had them match the hose type. right now i am testing some very costly hose on my truck. If i like it i will be updating the bike in a few years.

Pro System I Bike Builder Series: Preferred by the professional bike builder! A 308 stainless steel #3 braided hose with a Teflon inner liner and a clear coated exterior used in high performance brake applications. Sold in bulk or in 10', 15', 20' and 50' rolls. Use with Pro System

this link will help you find the right hose
                  Russell Performance Products has been the leader in advanced fluid transfer systems for more than 30 years. We manufacture a complete line of hoses and fittings for fuel, brake, water, oil and various other systems for automotive, motorcycle and marine applications.

Comment

Working...
                  X