Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pingle fuel petcock on a 1980 or later GS550???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pingle fuel petcock on a 1980 or later GS550???

:roll: Hello, I'm about to get sick of the stock vaccum fuel petcock on my 1980 GS550L. I've saw several posts on GS750 Pingle petcock conversions. Has anyone attempted to install a Pingle petcock on a 1980 or later GS550 which originally came with a vaccum operated petcock??

If anyone has already been thru this and has the part numbers for the Pingle petcock and or the Pingle adapter plate and maybe what modifications you had to do along the line, I would appreciate any help you could offer. I kind of assume that the 750 setup might be bigger or different but, I'm not sure. :?

Thanks

Hey,

Be careful with making sure the petcock will fit. On the 1980 bikes (I have the same as yours) they used a different petcock which is a lot smaller than the ones on other years. Also, I believe the distance between the screws that hold it to the tank is different (something like 55mm). Someone a little while back was asking about switching to pingle petcocks for a 1980 bike, so look back through old posts to find a bunch more info. Info from bikes 1981 and after will probably be fairly useless to you though.

Also, keep us updated as to how things go and what you do, as I'm considering switching as well.

Good luck.

--Tyler

Comment

pingle petcocks can be ordered by measuring the distance between mounting screws. The mounting plate and actual petcock are two separate items in pingle. If the original petcock is noticably smaller than on larger cc bikes, remove it and measure the hieght of the fuel screem and the diameter of the hole in the gas tank and some of us can measure our old larger petcocks and perhaps come up with some information that will help in the decision.
      I hear the wise cracks already

Comment

I have the petcock from my 83 gs1100e in front of me. The specks are as follows
        The mounting screws are44mm cnter to center.

The filter screen is 73mm high

the sort of oval shape of the screen measures 20mm by 10mm

i think i had to file the opening in the tank a bit to ensure that the pingle screen would mot rub against ther opening.

I know it not the same bike but should your item be close to these measurments, it will help us to think the problem out mobetter.

Comment

Hey Thanks for all the replies. Scotty, we won't mind if they laugh to hard as long as our bikes aren't running out of gas at full throttle.

OK, I did some measuring on my spare 1980 GS550L gas tank which is lying in my garage. On this particualr petcock, the holes are 50mm apart.
          Some bikes are 44mm like yours is Scotty, which is the difference in Pingle part numbers.

I just got off the phone with Russ, the order guy at Pingle in Wisconsin who by the way is very nice and helpful. The Pingle petcock part number that our bikes use is either a 6211-AH which is the aluminum one, or the 6211-CR which is the chrome one. I chose the 6211-CR (chrome) because
          Russ told me that the chrome cock had brass internals and was more durable and would hold up better, $10 dollars more at $72.30.

Here is the deal on the adapter plates. The A1902C ($11.35) is what you need if your bolt holes are 50mm apart like mine are. The A1702C is the part number if your bolts are at 44mm c to c. So I am told by Russ.

Russ also told me that the petcocks are fully rebuildable and that Pingle likes for you to ship the petcock back to them should you need service. If they can't rebuild it, they will replace it. I'm not sure about the cost, if any on that. Russ said that I will probably have to enlarge the hole where the pipe and screen extends up into the tank and if I need to cut the pipe off and trim the screen, I can.

He shipped it out today so, I'll let you know the results when I switch the valve on, fire it up and go hold it wide open for awhile to see how well it flows.

Cheers,
          Blake

Comment

stand pipe

Keep in mind, when you cut the stand pipe down (use a tube cutter, for sure), you're going to reduce the reserve mileage. I left an earlier post regarding how much I cut off which you can look up with a search...I figure I have about 20 miles reserve, which I consider perfect!

I would have cut it down even if I didn't need to because I don't consider a reserve capacity of 80 or 100 miles to be very useful. :roll:
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Yea, will definetly use a tubing cutter. It is good to know how much you have left on reserve.

I have on occasisons on some other bigger bikes I've had, ran out of gas with my wife aboard. Man, she sure gets ill at me when I do that. I've tried to explain to her that I want to make the most of the gas stop but, that just don't get it with her. :twisted: I remember riding down Hwy. 66 below Sevierville, TN. on my old 93 VS1400 Inturder when beginning to run out of gas, I throttled back on it and ran it up to 90mph, pulled the clutch in and coasted for over a mile and ended up just barley making it to the pumps. SSSHHOOOOEEE!! I said, as my wife gave me the look and said, why do you do that?? You know better then that!! Why don't you do that when I'm not on here.

Oh well, off to the garage to see if I can mount some highway pegs and some leftover saddle bags from a, oh know, I said it Yamaha.>> Hopefully they'll work well on the GS for tours to work (hauling milk, food, you know, that sort of thing).

Later On!! :arrow:

Comment

I installed the Pingel chrome/round valve and I'm happy with it. Just a couple of small tips. 6 wraps with the teflon tape was perfect. The valve is nice and tight, no leak. When I put it on the first time, I used 4 wraps and the teflon turned brown and would have probably leaked soon in a few months?
                Also, order the yellow/green fuel line they sell. It stays flexible and goes on and off easily. It seals good and you don't need clips or hose clamps. I bought a couple of extra feet so I can sinc my carbs with the tank on the workmate.
                Ask them for a rubber plug to plug your vacuum nipple at the carb. They'll give you one.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

NOW IT'S TIME TO ADMIT THE TRUTH

I have left ther petcock on about 3 or 4 times and had to change my oil because of it . Fortunately the carbs didn't leak every time i left the gas on though.

OK FELLES ADMIT IT SO THIS GUY DOESN'T FORGET TOO OFTEN. 8O 8O 8O 8O

Comment

OK, I admit it. Scotty has left his petcock on at least 3 or 4 times and had to change his oil because of it.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                      OK, I admit it. Scotty has left his petcock on at least 3 or 4 times and had to change his oil because of it.
                      I admit it also..Scotty has done this several times...

Hap :twisted:

Comment

Re: stand pipe

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                        Keep in mind, when you cut the stand pipe down (use a tube cutter, for sure), you're going to reduce the reserve mileage. I left an earlier post regarding how much I cut off which you can look up with a search...I figure I have about 20 miles reserve, which I consider perfect!

I would have cut it down even if I didn't need to because I don't consider a reserve capacity of 80 or 100 miles to be very useful. :roll:
                        The 1980 GS 550L petcock does not have a reserve position. When you run out of fuel you're OUT! And to think I replaced my original with NOS it cost me 69.00 plus shipping wish I knew about the Pingle then...

Comment

Boy you guys are qiuck to admit it arent you @#$%$#$%@ bunch of humps.

Comment

Man, they were quick to admit it, that it happen to you Scotty!! We'll hope it don't happen again to any of us. OK, I admit that.

Comment

Re: stand pipe

Originally posted by jimcor
                              Originally posted by chuckycheese

The 1980 GS 550L petcock does not have a reserve position. When you run out of fuel you're OUT! And to think I replaced my original with NOS it cost me 69.00 plus shipping wish I knew about the Pingle then...
                              Yea, the stock petcock cost me a tow home behind my Caprice with my wife at the wheel and me and my 550L on the end of a strap after a harendous 90mph run. I lost prime and came to a discusting bog on 2 cylinders then a halt below my house. :roll: :roll: . He He He. :arrow: Pingel time for me!!

Comment

Working...
                              X