Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pingle fuel petcock on a 1980 or later GS550???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I would post my results after installing my new Pingle hi flow
    fuel petcock and adapter. Everything went real well. I was able to carefully remove the screen from the pipe stand. I used a tubing cutter
    and cut off exactly 1" off the length of the pipe stand and also trimmed the screen to compensate as pointed out by Charlie. I then reinstalled the screen and used a small pair of wire cutters to recrimp the screen back into the slot at the base of the pipestand.

Then I enlarged the hole in the bottom of the tank with a big tap that I found in a junk box in my garage. I put some grease on it so it would catch any shavings that might have came off. I smoothed it on up with a round chainsaw file and was careful not get shavings in the tank. I then put a good coat of the Hylomar sealer on all the contact surfaces of the adapter plate, gasket, and where it contacts the tank. Waited 10 minutes as per directions. Then installed the adapter good and tight. I wrapped the petcock with 6 layers of teflon tape and turned it in pretty tight, then reinstalled the tank and turned the petcock a little more to line it up just right. I also had previously plugged the vacuum port on the #2 carb with a rubber vacuum cap that I got at Napa. I did all of this with the gas tank about half full. It can be done if your carefull. Just find something cushy to lay it on, on it's side. Be carefull about making sparks. Just coat your enlarging tools with some grease which will keep the shavings out of your tank and help with no sparks too.

I connected the fuel line and went for a 10 mile ride after dark. It was cold but, I was smiling when I got back. No more loosing prime with the dreaded vacuum petcock. The ON OFF RES lever works very smooth and is easy enough to get too. I could see where you could fill your crankcase up with fuel in a hurry if one of your fuelvalves in one of the carbs didn't shut off. (NO VACUUM NEEDED ON THIS ONE) it flows!!

A big thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction. I would reccomend a pingle to anyone with a troublesome vacuum petcock but, I would make sure that my carburetors were functioning properly first, as stated before by Scotty and others you could end up with a crankcase full of gas. Sorry for the lengthy post but, it might help others to make the decision.

Carry ON 8) 8) 8) :arrow: :arrow:

Comment

Re: stand pipe

Yea, the stock petcock cost me a tow home behind my Caprice with my wife at the wheel and me and my 550L on the end of a strap after a harendous 90mph run. I lost prime and came to a discusting bog on 2 cylinders then a halt below my house. :roll: :roll: . He He He. :arrow: Pingel time for me!!

caprice ? what model ? classic ? brougham ? coupe ? sedan ?
      engine ? trans ? axle ?

what year ?!

if its a 77-79 or an 80-90 then i am...

interested!
      :P

Comment

Randy, I would have put you in the drivers seat a couple of months ago, for cheap too. It was a 1986 Caprice Classic, 305ci 4 barrel, 243 to 1 gear ratio, 700R4 tranny. Not your everyday hot rod but very dependable with cold air. It had 130K an ran like a champ, just needed paint.

I gave her up to buy a 96 Corolla for better gas mileage.

Comment

Working...
        X