GS1100 ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 ignition

I have been working on a 1982 GS1100G that my son picked up for a song. It had been in a wreck and the ignition cover, pickups and rotor where wasted. The cover and pickups were replaced but it is missing the rotor. I have put out feelers for the part and have got quotes in ranging from $14.00 to $150.00. So far the few people that have the low prices have had the wrong rotor. They have either had one for a machine with the mechanical advance or one from a later machine that also does not fit.

The guys that are trying to rape me I won't deal with.

Am I correct in understanding that the rotor from any Suzuki GS from 1980 to 1985 will work? If not, then what years and models.

I have a Dyna ignition that will work but do not want to use it on this bike as all the other ignition parts are new ie: black box, triggers, ignition coils..........

I have visited quite a number of web sites claiming to have early 80's GS parts bikes but none seem to be able to locate the rotor.

Does anyone know where I can locate one for a decent price?

Thanks
    Allan

Re: GS1100 ignition

Does the 82 1100G stock electronic ignition system have a counterweight advance mechanism or is the advance controlled by the ignition module (no mechanical advance) My understanding is that you do not have a mechanical advance, but I would like to be sure. Depending, I may have what you need. I'll have to do some digging tomorrow. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by eyeballjones
    I have been working on a 1982 GS1100G that my son picked up for a song. It had been in a wreck and the ignition cover, pickups and rotor where wasted. The cover and pickups were replaced but it is missing the rotor. I have put out feelers for the part and have got quotes in ranging from $14.00 to $150.00. So far the few people that have the low prices have had the wrong rotor. They have either had one for a machine with the mechanical advance or one from a later machine that also does not fit.

The guys that are trying to rape me I won't deal with.

Am I correct in understanding that the rotor from any Suzuki GS from 1980 to 1985 will work? If not, then what years and models.

I have a Dyna ignition that will work but do not want to use it on this bike as all the other ignition parts are new ie: black box, triggers, ignition coils..........

I have visited quite a number of web sites claiming to have early 80's GS parts bikes but none seem to be able to locate the rotor.

Does anyone know where I can locate one for a decent price?

Thanks
    Allan
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

I believe this bike does not have the mechanical advance. I looked at parts fiches at BikeBandit.com and they show the 82 GS1100G without mechanical advance and the 82 GS1100E with mechanical advance.
      This is getting confusing.
      From what I have read on this forum it appears that I do not have mechanical advance on this bike.
      I know I should just go ahead and install the Dyna system but I'm just too stubborn. Once I start on a problem I want to resolve it correctly.
      Maybe some of the shaftie folks could put in their two cents. Someone on here must have a GS1100G besides me.

If you do have the part let me know what you need for it.

Thanks
      Allan

Comment

Its easy enough to resolve the confusion. Remove the ignition cover on the right end of the crankshaft, remove the center rotor hold down bolt, remove the three machine screws that retain the breaker plate and look at the crankshaft end. If there is a spring loaded set of counterweights there, it is the mechanical advance unit..

On the Dyna systems: The Dyna "S" and Dyna III both require the mechanical advance unit in place on the crankshaft. (they do not use a control module) If you have no mechanical advance, then you would have to retro fit one to be able to use the above Dyna systems.

On the Dyna 2000, that system utilizes a control module (black box) and ignition advance curves are electronic. The system cannot be used with a mechanical advance installed, so if you did have a machine with a mechanical advance, you would remove it.

Earl

[quote="eyeballjones"]I believe this bike does not have the mechanical advance. I looked at parts fiches at BikeBandit.com and they show the 82 GS1100G without mechanical advance and the 82 GS1100E with mechanical advance.
        This is getting confusing.

Comment

There is no advance unit in there. This bike came with all the parts under the ignition cover missing. It was in a wreck and supposedly the ignition items were damaged. When I got the bike all the new parts were in a box except for the rotor.
          I have looked thru the microfiches at BikeBandit.com and they show all of the GS1100G* models without mechanical advance. The other G models such as the GS850G* do have mechanical advance.
          So I do indeed have to have a rotor from one of the 1100G models.

I do have a mechanical advance to use with the Dyna system if I have to use that system.

Allan

Comment

I have looked thru the microfiches at BikeBandit.com and they show all of the GS1100G* models without mechanical advance. The other G models such as the GS850G* do have mechanical advance.

I owned two 1982 GS850GZ's back in the 80's and 90's. The advance mechanism is electronic, not mechanical. The earlier 850's, 80 and 81, had a mechanical advance.

I can tell you for certain that the GS1100G also had an electronic advance.

Nick

Comment

See how confusing it can get? You have had an 82 GS850G with electronic advance yet the microfiche that I looked at showed it with a mechanical advance.

Yes, I now know that I need a rotor from a machine with electronic advance.

Does anyone have one or know where I can get one at a resonable price?

Thanks
              Allan

Comment

ALL RIGHTY ROO! :-) :-) Now we're getting somewhere. I have the rotor you need for the stock ignition system that would use a control module having an electronic advance function. If you would be so kind as to PM me with where you would like it sent, I will get it in the mail to you Monday. :-) Do you have the rotor hold down bolt and the special slotted locking spacer that goes between the rotor and hold down bolt or do you need those parts also?

Earl

Originally posted by eyeballjones
                There is no advance unit in there. This bike came with all the parts under the ignition cover missing. It was in a wreck and supposedly the ignition items were damaged. When I got the bike all the new parts were in a box except for the rotor.
                So I do indeed have to have a rotor from one of the 1100G models.

I do have a mechanical advance to use with the Dyna system if I have to use that system.

Allan

Comment

You have had an 82 GS850G with electronic advance yet the microfiche that I looked at showed it with a mechanical advance.

There's nothing confusing; it's black and white. I didn't have an 82 GS850G, but two of them in succession. Each had the electronic igniter unit. I sold the electronic igniter off one of them to a fellow who has an 83 GS850G, which definitely has electronic advance.

Also, the Suzuki factory manual on the GS850G details and explains the difference between the mechanical advance on the 80 and 81 models v. the electronic advance on the 82.

The microfiche is wrong.

Nick

Comment

I have an 1982 GS1100G and it indeed needs an electronic ignition system. I had problems with the stock one and replaced it with a DYNA 2000 system. Works perfect ...but it's not a cheap solution.

Comment

Working...
                    X