GS1100 Jugs and heads E & G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100 Jugs and heads E & G

I have a 1982 GS1100GK. I am very fond of this bike and thought It would behoove me to have a few spare parts as it is 22 years old. I niavely purchased heads (complete except for followers), jugs and pistons from a 1983 GS1100E. I have since learned that switching heads on these bikes is not straight forward or neccessarily wise.

My question is (before I just sell these parts again on e-bay). If I replace it all. Jugs, pistons, head (complete with cams) will this swap work? Or am I still in way over my head?

I am not suire what followers are although I am pretty sure they don't mean disciples.

thank you

The G models have eight valve heads while the '83 E has 16 valve. The E heads also have significant differences in form, i.e. the oil passages won't line up.

My advice is start with a set of G heads and slugs unless you want to spend a few months re-engineering...

Comment

I believe your statement to be accurate but is it complete? Wouldn't these problems be addressed by using the pistons and jugs that came with the head?

Comment

The followers are rocker arms used to actuate the valves, You need to find a 8 valve motor. For what it would cost you for the followers you could probably buy a 8 Valve top end. Sell the 16 valve on ebay

Comment

Working...
        X