Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna Ignition

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
    I just got a set of 3 ohm Accel coils (the kit) for my '79 GS750 and I'd like to install the Dyna ignition system. Can anyone here tell me if the Dyna S is what I need, or is there something better? The Dyna III is cheaper, but there doesn't seem to be the correct model for my bike. The Dyna 2000 is fantastic, but so is the price. Eventually I'd like to get the Electrex R/R and the stator but the Electrex site doesn't list a stator for my bike. Does anyone know where to get one?
    Thanks for being such a great support group.

Harrison

The Dyna III D33-2 is listed for GS 550/750/850/1000 for those with Nippon denso ign sys and D33-1 for those with the Kokusan ign.

Comment

Re: Dyna Ignition

Harrison, the Electrex part number for a replacement stator for a 79 GS 750 is G 02 (and that one is a cast in stone FACT) :-) The RR you want is the RR10 and if you you can see your way to parting with the cash, the Dyna 2000 system is the way to go. I have an "S" and I have a 2000 system and after getting the 2000, I wont be buying anything else.

Earl

Originally posted by Harrison Clement
      Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
      I just got a set of 3 ohm Accel coils (the kit) for my '79 GS750 and I'd like to install the Dyna ignition system. Can anyone here tell me if the Dyna S is what I need, or is there something better? The Dyna III is cheaper, but there doesn't seem to be the correct model for my bike. The Dyna 2000 is fantastic, but so is the price. Eventually I'd like to get the Electrex R/R and the stator but the Electrex site doesn't list a stator for my bike. Does anyone know where to get one?
      Thanks for being such a great support group.

Harrison
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks, Lynn, but I'm not sure which one I have.
        Thanks, Earl, I had pretty much thought so about the Dyna S v. the 2000 but I don't have the money yet. Thanks for the stator part numbers, though.
        I reckon I'll have to go with the D/S for the time being. When I get a bigger/newer bike I'll be able to justify that kind of expenditure.

Harrison

Comment

I have a dyna ignition but have no idea what one it is? It was installed nearly 8 years ago. How can I check?

(This is were my true motorcycle knowledge will start to show itself)
          8O

Comment

I believe the Dyna "S" was the only system 8 years ago, The "S" does not use a control module and retains the mechanical advance unit under the breaker plate. The Dyna III did not exist 8 years ago. A Dyna 2000 must use its own Dyna control module and will not work if the original mechanical advance unit is retained.

I think you would have the "S" system.

Earl

Originally posted by Hoomgar
            I have a dyna ignition but have no idea what one it is? It was installed nearly 8 years ago. How can I check?

(This is were my true motorcycle knowledge will start to show itself)
            8O

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks Earl. Most likely for sure then. It was at least 8 years ago.

Comment

The biggest difference I have found between the "S" system and the newer 2000 system is if you want to be really precise with your timing setting, the "S" system requires you tweak timing with the engine running using a timing light. Its kind of fussy to get perfect. The 2000 system has the advance degreeing calibrated on the rotor and a built in test/set up function, so timing is done without the engine running and it is "spot on" to the calibration. The 2000 is idiot proof. Just follow the directions and it is perfect and the directions that come with the 2000 appear to have been written by someone that has actually timed a bike too. eh eh eh (theyre first rate)

Earl

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                Thanks Earl. Most likely for sure then. It was at least 8 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                X