80gs1000e(et) Transistorized, Automatic Advance and Dyna III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80gs1000e(et) Transistorized, Automatic Advance and Dyna III

Please help me clear this up in my head. I got a Dyna III originally for my 77gs550 (Nippon Denso (ND) D33-2 Suzuki 4cyl (ND) 550/750/850/1000/1100/1150) which I want to now install on my 80gs1000e(et).

The 80gs1000e shop manual I have states that I have a "Fully Transistorized Nippon Denso system." Manual also states that I have an "Automatic Advance" in the instructions/photos on installation and removal procedures. The Dyna III requires a mechanical advancer if I am correct, and will not then work with my 80gs1000e then........right? If that is correct, could I simply add a mechanical advance unit or is that out of the question/a nightmare?

Or......should I get a Dyna 2000 unit which is a lot of $$$? I want to use my Dyna III. Anybody know what's the deal and has anybody ever successfully added a mechanical advancer (or have one for sale) on their GS? I've seen posts here about people adding the Dyna III to an 80gs1000g but that can't be right....?.....unless a mechanical advancer has been added...??? Advice/insight?

You should have the mechanical advance,The 'Automatic' does not necessarily preclude it being mechanical in nature. Your Dyna III will be fine.

Comment

My 400 has got an electronic advance and I'm told that people have converted back to mechanical and a dyna. You should be able to see some springs under the plate daveo posted if you've got a mechanical set up. This is the sort of thing where you'll want to drag your bike to a wrecker and assemble it with the parts you want to by in order to see if the clearances are correct. You'll also want to check in the manuals to compare advance curves. It will give you two RPMs with different advances. I'm not sure if it's actually a "curve" or a straight line though. The 2000 let's you chose between a bunch of curves since you won't be able to modify weights and springs.

Steve

Comment

Re: 80gs1000e(et) Transistorized, Automatic Advance and Dyna

You shouldnt have any problem. 80 was the first year of electronic ignition.
        Prior to that, a points system was used. 1st generation electronic systems
        retained the mechanical advance units. Electronic advance was a later development. The Dyna III will be fine. On the off chance that someone has changed your ignition and you dont have a mechanical advance now installed, it is a simple matter to retro fit one to the bike. (been there, done that) :-)

Earl

[quote="77gs550"]
        Please help me clear this up in my head. I got a Dyna III originally for my 77gs550 (Nippon Denso (ND) D33-2 Suzuki 4cyl (ND) 550/750/850/1000/1100/1150) which I want to now install on my 80gs1000e(et).
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          You shouldnt have any problem. 80 was the first year of electronic ignition.
          Prior to that, a points system was used. 1st generation electronic systems
          retained the mechanical advance units. Electronic advance was a later development. The Dyna III will be fine. On the off chance that someone has changed your ignition and you dont have a mechanical advance now installed, it is a simple matter to retro fit one to the bike. (been there, done that) :-)

Earl
          Thanks guys for the info, good to hear. Earl, you cleared up a very particular question I was struggling with.....So I do not have points but alas....I do have the mechanical advance unit which the Dyna III needs a la "first generation electronic systems retaining the mechanical advance." Everything I read led me to "assume" that the lack of points automatically meant electronic advance. Doh! And "automatic advance" does not mean "electronic advance"......ahhhhhhhhh. Also good to know that I can add the mechanical advance if its been messed with.....I'll post a follow up as soon as I get it on the 80gs1000e.

Adding the Dyna III will eliminate then just....the stock electronic ignition basically (no points to eliminate)....that's all...right? Anything else get eliminated by adding the Dyna III on this bike? Thanks again! -D

Comment

is it worth updating your ignition system to a dyna 3 if you don't have points and your oem system works fine?

it may be more productive to install the dyna 3 on your 77 550 which has points (points suck) and leave your 1000 alone until it breaks.

i don't know if this is a question or advise maybe some elese can help me out.

ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
              is it worth updating your ignition system to a dyna 3 if you don't have points and your oem system works fine?

it may be more productive to install the dyna 3 on your 77 550 which has points (points suck) and leave your 1000 alone until it breaks.

i don't know if this is a question or advise maybe some elese can help me out.

ryan
              Very good point wise one....any advice/opinions on this?

(besides going out and getting another Dyan III so both have them.....hehehehe.....both bikes currently run excellent FYI....)

Comment

Just an old saying: If its not broken then don't fix it.

Comment

Has anyone installed one of the "S" or "III" units and noticed an increase in performance?? I'd like to know since I'm planning on doing an ignition upgrade this season. I know that the high-end Dynas offer better timing accuracy at high RPM's, programmable advance curves, static timing, and built in rev limiters.

Jeff

Comment

Youre correct, the Dyna III replaces the stock electronic ignition.
                    The stock electronic ignition on an 80 GS1000 did not have an
                    electronic advance circuit in the module. It relied on a mechanical advance located under the breaker plate. The Dyna III also does not have an electronic advance circuit and it too requires a mechanical advance.
                    It should be a piece of cake. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by 77gs550

Adding the Dyna III will eliminate then just....the stock electronic ignition basically (no points to eliminate)....that's all...right? Anything else get eliminated by adding the Dyna III on this bike? Thanks again! -D
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                      Youre correct, the Dyna III replaces the stock electronic ignition.
                      The stock electronic ignition on an 80 GS1000 did not have an
                      electronic advance circuit in the module. It relied on a mechanical advance located under the breaker plate. The Dyna III also does not have an electronic advance circuit and it too requires a mechanical advance.
                      It should be a piece of cake. :-)

Earl

Thanks Earl

Comment

Working...
                      X