Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got a project bike - have some questions

hello all,

Well - I realize that this is a GS forum but it seems like you guys are very knowledgeable in terms of repairing bikes so hopefully you don't mind my asking questions regarding fixing up my newest acquisition - an '87 Suzuki LS650 Savage.

It's a 650cc single, not running due to some hoodlum trying to hotwire it.

So other than the obvious need to repair the wiring, this bike is also prone to a cylinder leak due to a faulty rubber plug mounted on top of the head (not life-threatening, just messy). I know this because I attempted to fix the leak on the same model bike a few years ago (my first bike). I opened her up, put the newly designed rubber plug in and sealed it up with the recommended RTV sealant. Engine leaked more than before I attempted this "repair" and I ended up just bringing it to the dealer. I believe my mistake was in not torqueing the head down to the proper spec (didn't use a torque wrench) and used a lot of RTV sealant. My question is would not using a torque wrench and using too much RTV sealant lead to an improper seal? How much sealant should be applied?Probably a no duh question - but I want to make sure I'm doing it right this time.

Sorry if this is a bonehead question and thanks very much for any advice and input!

If you do a search on this forum, I believe all your questions have been answered at some time or other:

Good luck, I think the Savage is a cool little bike

Comment

Ah I remember the good old days when a 650 wasn't a *little* bike.

Sam

Originally posted by cruzuki
      If you do a search on this forum, I believe all your questions have been answered at some time or other:

Good luck, I think the Savage is a cool little bike

Comment

I'd love to make a cafe racer out of that bike. Way cool !

Comment

Working...
        X