Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil Change Problem, who else has 400 or 450!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Change Problem, who else has 400 or 450!!!!

Alright. SO i go and change the oil right? I look in the bible and it says my bike takes 2.2 US quarts. So i go to the local Lordco to pick up oil, i have 2.5 Quarts. So i empty the engine of oil, next thing i know i have 1 and half 4 Litre, which is almost 4 US quarts i believe, pails pull of oil. Who the heck put this much oil in the bike, i asked myself. So then i replace the filter and put the new oil in, 2.1-2.3 US quarts. ran it for 10 or 20 seconds. take the dip stick out, whip it, Dip the dipstick, and the oil is BARELY, and i mean BARELY registering. its BELOW the E line. IS this a faulty system, am i doing something wrong? Please someone help, i dont want to cease my engine up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!! WHy does my book say 2.2 US quarts, and when i put in that much, its barely on the dip stick, repeat, I NEED HELP!!! :x :x :x

Re: Oil Change Problem, who else has 400 or 450!!!!

The oil can only be checked when the bike is sitting on the centerstand.
    NEVER!!! check the oil level with the bike leaning on the sidestand.
    If the bike has been running, always let it sit with the engine shut off for a few minutes before checking the oil level.

Someone could have replaced you dipstick with the wrong one, or the end of the stick could be missing,

If the book says the bike takes 2.2 quarts, then do not put more than that in. Too much oil can cause just as much damage as too little.

When you put 2.2 quarts in the bike, if you check it tomorrow and find the oil level is higher on the dipstick, the only cause possible is a leaking petcock allowing gas to drain into the crankcase.

Earl

Originally posted by Tanner
    Alright. SO i go and change the oil right? I look in the bible and it says my bike takes 2.2 US quarts. So i go to the local Lordco to pick up oil, i have 2.5 Quarts. So i empty the engine of oil, next thing i know i have 1 and half 4 Litre, which is almost 4 US quarts i believe, pails pull of oil. Who the heck put this much oil in the bike, i asked myself. So then i replace the filter and put the new oil in, 2.1-2.3 US quarts. ran it for 10 or 20 seconds. take the dip stick out, whip it, Dip the dipstick, and the oil is BARELY, and i mean BARELY registering. its BELOW the E line. IS this a faulty system, am i doing something wrong? Please someone help, i dont want to cease my engine up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!! WHy does my book say 2.2 US quarts, and when i put in that much, its barely on the dip stick, repeat, I NEED HELP!!! :x :x :x
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thank you. It was on its centre stand. So i added 2.2 quarts, i guess ill just wait till tomorrow and check.

Comment

Also, usually its marked into the filler cap what the oil capacity is. If the writing on the cap said 2.2, it would indicate 2.2 liters, not quarts. Your book will have a table of fluid amounts required, You might check the table to see if it agrees with the chapter youre reading. Sometimes there is a misprint.

Earl

Originally posted by Tanner
        Thank you. It was on its centre stand. So i added 2.2 quarts, i guess ill just wait till tomorrow and check.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Tanner! I have the 450 as you allready know! And mine takes 4 quarts! So I would look at your book one more time!
          Neil

Comment

I would be concerned about putting 4 quarts of oil in a 450. My 1150E only holds 3.8 quarts so I have my doubts the 400/450 series GS's would have a larger oil capacity. 3.8 quarts on my 1150 is right to the max full line.

Earl

Originally posted by Neil
            Tanner! I have the 450 as you allready know! And mine takes 4 quarts! So I would look at your book one more time!
            Neil

Comment

My 450 has 2600ml stamped right on the motor (and my shop manual agrees with it), but I've found that with oil changes it takes a little more to bring it up to the full line. About 3.2 litres with a filter change. 2.6 brings it to the bottom of the stick.

Sam

Originally posted by earlfor
              I would be concerned about putting 4 quarts of oil in a 450. My 1150E only holds 3.8 quarts so I have my doubts the 400/450 series GS's would have a larger oil capacity. 3.8 quarts on my 1150 is right to the max full line.

Earl

Originally posted by Neil
              Neil

Comment

All I was trying to say is that it is important to put the correct amount of oil in. Too much can cause just as much damage as too little.

Earl

[quote="sralph"]My 450 has 2600ml stamped right on the motor (and my shop manual agrees with it), but I've found that with oil changes it takes a little more to bring it up to the full line. About 3.2 litres with a filter change. 2.6 brings it to the bottom of the stick.

Sam

Comment

I am about to change the oil on our 2 450's. I'll let ya know where we sit after the quoted oil amt is added. Also do you think that after replacing the sump cover I would require more oil than the reg stated (like is that the std after an oil change and not dry (as I'd assume would be the case after being w/o the sump cover))

Comment

Most books or at least all of the books I have give two amounts
                    The standard amount is how much oil to put into the crankcase when the oil plug is removed, oil drained, plug refitted and the crankcase refilled. That is the amount imprinted on the oil filler cap.

The other amount listed is when the oil is drained, and the oil filter replaced.
                    That amount is usually between 1/4 and 1/2 quart greater than the first (standard) amount.

I would expect that removing the oil filter cover to inspect the condition of the oil filter and then reinstalling the original filter would be the same as if you had changed the filter.

However, I see no reason to reinstall a used filter. They cost less than $3 at the local auto supply store.

Earl

Originally posted by bgmart450
                    I am about to change the oil on our 2 450's. I'll let ya know where we sit after the quoted oil amt is added. Also do you think that after replacing the sump cover I would require more oil than the reg stated (like is that the std after an oil change and not dry (as I'd assume would be the case after being w/o the sump cover))

Comment

My GS450 takes 3.1 quarts with oil filter change. Filled it up right to the top.

Comment

My 550 takes 2800cc 's , or 2.8 litres. I don't know how many quarts that is.

I just looked it up. It's just shy of 3 quarts. So 4 in a 450 sounds a bit much.

Just my .02c
                        Satch

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                          Most books or at least all of the books I have give two amounts
                          The standard amount is how much oil to put into the crankcase when the oil plug is removed, oil drained, plug refitted and the crankcase refilled. That is the amount imprinted on the oil filler cap.

The other amount listed is when the oil is drained, and the oil filter replaced.
                          That amount is usually between 1/4 and 1/2 quart greater than the first (standard) amount.

I would expect that removing the oil filter cover to inspect the condition of the oil filter and then reinstalling the original filter would be the same as if you had changed the filter.

However, I see no reason to reinstall a used filter. They cost less than $3 at the local auto supply store.

Earl

As my drain plug was so well welded (what do some people think) into place the oil sump cover (basically the entire plate under the engine) needs to be replaced. I got the sump cover and filter cover (mine has that round filter cover in the front) in an auction recently.

BTW I'd never take the filter out w/o replacing it, and the oil.

Comment

Someone welded the oil drain plug in place? Ahhh, insanity at its pinnacle. :-) :-)

"BTW I'd never take the filter out w/o replacing it, and the oil." ........:-) :-)You would be amazed at some of the things done to motorcycles. eh eh

Earl

As my drain plug was so well welded (what do some people think) into place the oil sump cover (basically the entire plate under the engine) needs to be replaced. I got the sump cover and filter cover (mine has that round filter cover in the front) in an auction recently.

BTW I'd never take the filter out w/o replacing it, and the oil.

Comment

Working...
                            X