Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standard Real Wheel Offset - GS 1000..., HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard Real Wheel Offset - GS 1000..., HELP!

I race a GS 1000 in Vintage Period 3 Heavyweight in Canada. I am currently having a set of old 18" Dymags refurbished in England and I need some help with the rear setup, specifically what offset to spec for the sprocket to line up with the stock sprocket on the engine.

The engine is currently out of the frame and I have been using old Kawasaki wheels and swingarm with custom work done to fit the rotor. I bought the bike this way, and frankly, am not confident the wheel is perfectly centered so I don't trust the current offset measurements (my best reading off the rear tire mounted on the bike gives me 3 23/32" - just under 3 3/4" - centre of wheel to centre of sprocket).

I will be running an Avon AM23 150/70VB16, nonDOT racing compound, on the appropriate rim width, which will give me an Overall Width on the mounted tire of 5.9". THis will obviously require minimum clearance of 2.95" to the inside of the chain with an allowance for tire flex and some chain movement on the sprocket.

The current measurement will allow me to clear the tire comfortably, but I want to make sure that I will line up with the stock engine sprocket when the wheel is perfectly centered on the frame...., which brings us back to my question.

Can anyone tell me what the stock offset is for the rear wheel so that it lines up with the stock sprocket position (hint: can anyone measure their stock GS 1000, please). If it turns out to be approx 3.5" plus, then I should have no clearance problem and will simply spec the stock GS 1000 offset for the rear Dymag.

If it turns out to be less, then I will have to spec a minimum to clear the tire (any thoughts on what that would be???) and then adjust the sprocket on the engine to line up with the wheel sprocket.

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated as I don't have access to a stock GS 1000 engined bike (8 valve). THANX!!!

Tony.

I will try to remember to measure mine tomorrow.
    Why are you having your wheels refurbished in England?

Comment

Thank you Paul!

Someone has suggested to me that it should be around 84-85mm, which would be approx. 3.4" centre of wheel to the inside mounting surface of the sprocket (not the centre of the teeth).

I would appreciate knowing what your measurement is.

The wheels are back in England to visit the mother ship from where they came..., Dymags are manufactured in England and they also offer a refurbishment/remanufacturing service.

Tony.

Comment

Yes I know that thery're made here, but I was wondering what they could do to refurbish them. They are cast magnesium & I was a bit puzzled what they do to them (or could do!)
        I used to help a guy who raced in the British Touring Car Championship (BTCC), and modified the offset on his Dymags, but that was easy - just machine the mounting face where the wheel bolted to the hub. As long as you don't get the material too hot':roll:'':roll:'

Comment

Please forgive me, you would have obviously known they were English..., remember, I'm used to being here in the colonies...

They are checking the structural integrity of the magnesium, resealing the wheels (corrodes rapidly if not), powder coating, revising the cush drive to current specs as I don't believe they have some bits for the old model, and replacing the sprocket and the bearings to my specs. I'm sure that I could have had most of it done locally, but I prefer to have the original manufacturer deal with it, especially since its magnesium. Gives me more confidence.

Tony.

Comment

Working...
          X