Holes in my exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holes in my exhaust?

Thank you for all the help you guys have been. I just finished the oil change and it purrs. There is one problem. I started it up, and since it is still a llittle chilly out, youcan see the exhaust, which is perfectly normal. But i noticed that there were tufts of exhaust coming from the side and underneath the left exhuast. I noticed 2 holes, one just smaller than a dime, and one about the size of my pinky fingernail. Will this severely affect my emissions? IS this bad for the bike? SHould i get it replaced? If i do, should i get NOS pipes, or used? ANy help i would die for.

ps. I am aircaring it in the next few weeks, so i need to know if i should replace it or not, or of I can patch it up somehow..

Many thanks.

Gee Tanner, 20+ year-old bike with holes in the exhaust, how could that happen!? I remember my first GS400 rotting out the exhaust in less than 5 years when I lived in Iowa. The cheapest short-term fix would be some stainless steel tape over the holes. I realize that is not going to look too great, but it will seal up the system until you find some other pipes. Start by pricing new parts, that way anything decent and used will not seem so expensive! You could check on E-bay for a system, or maybe one of our GS 'brothers'(or sisters!) may have a lead on something. Good luck! Dave J

Comment

Keep an eye out on ebay.

What the heck are you aircaring it for? it's not required here.

Satch

Comment

motorcycle dont have to go through aircare? sweet!!! 8) 8) By the way, where can i pick up some of this stainless steel tape?

Comment

J.C. Whitney carries stainless steel muffler tape.

Earl

Originally posted by Tanner
          motorcycle dont have to go through aircare? sweet!!! 8) 8) By the way, where can i pick up some of this stainless steel tape?
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If you decide to go new aftermarket pipes, MAC is by far the cheapest alternative but you do get what you pay for.

Comment

Just got a complete set of stock gs1000 exhaust pipes in perfect shape off of Ebay for 1/4 the price of an aftermarket system. Keep your eyes on Ebay for a stock replacement and use that tape in the meantime.

Comment

There's supposed to be a hole on either side right about where the exhaust pipes flare out. My 400 dumps water out of these holes when I first start it up after a previous short ride. I'm not sure how big they are any more but I'm thinking 1/4 inch origionally. I'd go with Earl's tape if you think it's a big deal but put holes in it. I wouldn't worry too much if it's past the balancing pipe though, just check the colour of your plugs once you start riding regularly.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X