Odd Stator Readings Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Stator Readings Possible?

Ok so I figured I should follow everyone?s advise and actually go through the stator papers and take real readings.

Originally posted by Stator Papers IV
    Stop the engine. Disconnect the wires emerging from the stator. Switch the multimeter to Ohms, the lowest range on the meter. Connect the multimeter leads BETWEEN two of the three yellow wires. Check the reading on the meter. Switch one of the multimeter leads to another of the three wires and check the reading again. Switch the other multimeter lead to another of the three wires, and check the reading again. So, you need to take three readings.
    Before I spring for a new stator I want to know if it readings I got are possible or if I?m doing it incorrectly. The range is supposed to be ?within 0.5 to 2.0 Ohms? One set wires gives me about 175 Ohms the other two combinations give me nothing. Is that possible or am I checking the wrong wires. I had to go all the way back to a mysterious black box until I could get in contact with them so I?m only 95% sure there even the right wires. The colors do match. Yellow ? Blue ? Green.

Maybe these numbers could mean they?re shorted out somewhere in between? Well the insulation is in good condition so I doubt it.

Dang now the bike isn?t charging at all. Over my last 3 days of diagnosis it?s getting worse! Does that mean I?m in the process of watching the stator die?

Thanks to everybody for the help? and patience!

BTW 85 GS700E

Paul Billett

possibly your stator wires look fine and the short is on the inside if some windings--No resistance will usually mean that a wire is broken and the 175 ohms could be caused by some carbon residue in the area of the problem--Just a guess

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE
      possibly your stator wires look fine and the short is on the inside if some windings--No resistance will usually mean that a wire is broken and the 175 ohms could be caused by some carbon residue in the area of the problem--Just a guess
      Are you talking about the wiring or the windings in the stator? I'd hate to replace the stator and just have it be an over heated wire.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Billett
        Are you talking about the wiring or the windings in the stator? I'd hate to replace the stator and just have it be an over heated wire.

Paul
        I dont know what you mean by the wiring or the windings in the stator??
        If the confusion came from me rferring to the stator wires at one time and windings at another time .-- then i should have written stator windings in both cases-- in my mind the stator wires are the windings, not the wires to the stator--sorry--
        i think that the stator papers were written to avoid this type of confusion and we should take a straight foreward approach to the results of the tests

Comment

I should have written stator windings in both cases-- in my mind the stator wires are the windings, not the wires to the stator--sorry--
          I think that the stator papers were written to avoid this type of confusion and we should take a straight foreword approach to the results of the tests
          That answers my question. I will now trust my readings. Having no experience with this type of thing I wanted two opinions. Seems like I got a resounding, "trust the dam book!" Thanks that's just what I needed... well now I just need a stator!

Thanks Again
          Paul

Comment

You've probably have already done this, but....To check the stator you need to disconnect the 3 wires from the stator(3 bullet connectors if stock) just be certain you're not reading through another component.

Comment

Working...
            X