Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1100E petcock unit...is there a better option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100E petcock unit...is there a better option?

If I was to replace my petcock (1980 GS1100E)..I was wondering: Is there a better option? Or do I have to replace it with an original suzuki petcock unit?

Rudi

You can use a Pingel. Excellent quality, more flow, high price...You don't get something for nothing. And it is a manual unit, not vacuum operated. I prefer the manual operation (it never fails due to a leaky hose or other issue), but not everyone is the same.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark m
      You can use a Pingel. Excellent quality, more flow, high price...You don't get something for nothing. And it is a manual unit, not vacuum operated. I prefer the manual operation (it never fails due to a leaky hose or other issue), but not everyone is the same.

Mark
      Mark,

How does it work manually? You mentioned that there is no vaccum pull the pull....not sure how else it would work. (fuel injection?)

Rudi

Comment

How does it work manually?
        It is a manual valve that you turn on and off. There are 3 positions - Off, Main and Reserve and you have to manually turn the lever to get the one you want. It is the same as most petcocks on recent carburated sportbikes. The up side is that it will not fail to flow because of an old vacuum hose or weak/broken diaphragm. It always works. The down side is that YOU have to remember to turn it off when you stop or it will still flow fuel to the carbs. This is not a problem if your floats and needles are working properly, but if one is leaking it will overflow fuel onto the ground (not really bad, but a fire hazard around a hot engine) or into the cylinder (can be really bad and hydraulic lock the cylinder, bending or breaking a rod when you try to start it next time). I have never owned a bike with a vacuum petcock and never missed it, but it does require attention from the rider.

Mark

Comment

How does it work manually?
          It is a manual valve that you turn on and off. There are 3 positions - Off, Main and Reserve and you have to manually turn the lever to get the one you want. It is the same as most petcocks on recent carburated sportbikes. The up side is that it will not fail to flow because of an old vacuum hose or weak/broken diaphragm. It always works. The down side is that YOU have to remember to turn it off when you stop or it will still flow fuel to the carbs. This is not a problem if your floats and needles are working properly, but if one is leaking it will overflow fuel onto the ground (not really bad, but a fire hazard around a hot engine) or into the cylinder (can be really bad and hydraulic lock the cylinder, bending or breaking a rod when you try to start it next time). I have never owned a bike with a vacuum petcock and never missed it, but it does require attention from the rider.

Mark
          Hmm...may sound petty, but I'd rather NOT have to do that..everytime I turn off the bike. for convience, sounds like vaccum is best.

Thanks for the info!

Rudi

Comment

Hmm...may sound petty, but I'd rather NOT have to do that..everytime I turn off the bike. for convience, sounds like vaccum is best.
            Not really petty, I know people who like them for the convenience of no-thought operation. They are nice for daily transportation, its just one less thing to deal with. OTOH, I know people who have been stranded because a vacuum hose failed or the diaphragm ruptured and wouldn't open the valve. YMMV

I prefer the certainty of the manual petcock, but that is a personal choice.

Mark

Comment

Not really petty, I know people who like them for the convenience of no-thought operation. They are nice for daily transportation, its just one less thing to deal with. OTOH, I know people who have been stranded because a vacuum hose failed or the diaphragm ruptured and wouldn't open the valve. YMMV

I prefer the certainty of the manual petcock, but that is a personal choice.

Mark
              What do most newer bikes have?

Comment

My 77gs550 has the manual and my 80gs1000e has the vacume style. I just got the 80gs1000e replaced with a brand new stock unit from http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/ since the old one was trashed. Only thing I had to get used to on the 1000 was the lack of the reserve on the petcock. On my 550 when the bike would sputter, I knew I was running low on fuel....flicked it to reserve and I have about 20 miles to find a gas station. The 1000 has a fuel gauge so my technique is invalid. I'de go with the stock setup although Pingle is nice but more $$$.

Comment

What do most newer bikes have?
                  I know the GSXR's have always been the manual ones. My 97 ZX-9 is a manual one, as well. I don't believe I have ever seen a '90+ sport bike with a vacuum style, but I am not certain of that. Of course, everything is going to fuel injection now and those simply have a switch to hit reserve or a low fuel warning light and no shutoff is required.

Mark

Comment

I know people who have been stranded because a vacuum hose failed or the diaphragm ruptured and wouldn't open the valve. YMMV

Mark
                    Someone should have told them about Prime.
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

If I remember correctly I got my pingel for less than $70, which is not that much more than a replacement stock valve ($40). Personally I've had bad experiences with stock vacuum valves, twice winding up with a garage floor full of gasoline. I saw a couple of months ago on Pingels web site that they were now offering vacuum operated valves but I don't know the price or if they are in fact better than a new stock unit (my guess is yes).

Jeff

Comment

On the vaccume petcocks there is a plate that holds the lever in its place and also has the 'res', 'on', and 'pri' (or whatever yours says) stamped on it. One feature of this plate is that there is a tab at the top that prevents the lever from being turned straight up. If you file this tab off you can then turn the lever striaght up, this functions as an off position. Someone here described doing this, so I had a look and in this position there is no way for fuel to get through the petcock, it is totally blocked off. I've been using this as an off position for months now with no porblem. I still use the vaccum operation, but it does pass some fuel sometimes with the engine off. The reserve position seems not to, but you never know I always (try to remember to) turn it straight up now when I park it. Dpep is correct I believe, the 'pri' or prime position flows fuel no matter what, so you'll never really be stranded, just don't ever leave it there!

Comment

Working...
                        X