Police Special???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police Special???

On Ebay I say a side cover for a 79 GS850 Police Special. Is this what it sounds like? Did they make a cop bike after the 79 GS850? if so what are the diferences between that and say my 79 GS850G?

I saw a picture of one on ebay, I have never seen one in person. It would be very interesting to think "what if" If all of the police dept went with Suzuki instead of Kawaski

Comment

:twisted: yeah they probly wouldnt be going back to H/D (oink oink) :P :P :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Don Watson
        :twisted: yeah they probly wouldnt be going back to H/D (oink oink) :P :P :twisted:
        Not so Don... about two years ago there was a big article in the Seattle Times about how all the MC cops were going to get Harleys to replace their aging but dependable fleet of Kawi 1000's. By using smoke and mirrors accounting methods they even claimed that by switching to leased Harleys it would actually SAVE the taxpayers money. :roll: Word on the street was they were tired of all the crap they got about not riding "real bikes" and wanted to pump up their public tuff guy image :x

Comment

could'nt you tell the major sarchasim :P . no disputting that kawi's were a dependable fleet, but harleydavidson gave the force a bigger price cut than the others, and it would be time for the nostalgic rides to reappear. I would love to get my hands on an old police kawasaki :mrgreen:

Comment

Actually, I'm happy the man is going to be riding HD. Being chased by a HD is a joke to my 1150. The Kawa would actually pose some threat. :-)

Earl

could'nt you tell the major sarchasim :P . no disputting that kawi's were a dependable fleet, but harleydavidson gave the force a bigger price cut than the others, and it would be time for the nostalgic rides to reappear. I would love to get my hands on an old police kawasaki :mrgreen:
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

, and it would be time for the nostalgic rides to reappear. I would love to get my hands on an old police kawasaki :mrgreen:
              where do you live? I Know where there's a couple runners with bags, near Sacramento

Comment

yeah even though the kawa has a speed limiter at 120MPH.

Comment

Well, 120 would be coming up on the top of 3rd. heh heh

Earl

yeah even though the kawa has a speed limiter at 120MPH.

Comment

ok earl, who's bike are we referring to just finnished taking mine for spin on interstate 40 and hit the 120 mark on my speedometer in second gear at 8500 RPM's ( yes we can add error) but still fast for a 750 that is 20 years old NO? :twisted:

Comment

On my 79 750E, I get 14 mph per 1000 rpm in 5th gear. That works out to 119 mph @ 8500 for 5th. I just looked up the transmission ratios and 2nd gear will produce 54% of the speed of 5th gear for the same rpm. The result
                      is 2nd gear @8500 rpm is 64 mph. Results could differ depending on the sprocket ratio's, but probably not that much.
                      (wanna buy a speedo and tach?) :-) :-)

Earl

ok earl, who's bike are we referring to just finnished taking mine for spin on interstate 40 and hit the 120 mark on my speedometer in second gear at 8500 RPM's ( yes we can add error) but still fast for a 750 that is 20 years old NO? :twisted:

Comment

yes i have different sprockets 17/38

Comment

My calculator says that would account for a 22% increase in mph.
                          2nd gear 8500 rpm 78 mph. :-) With gearing that tall, the top speed in 5th will be slower than it would be with lower gearing.

Earl :-) But it really doesnt matter. Its fun just running the numbers.

yes i have different sprockets 17/38

Comment

There was something in the paper last year about the local PD to the fact that the local HD dealer was leasing them to the city for $1.00 for a one year period then they are sold to the public

Comment

They were selling covers and other parts for one of those on ebay two weeks ago. White. Brand new NOS I believe they were?

Comment

Working...
                              X