turn signal flashers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mister T
    what type of led did you go with I'm not impressed with the bulb replacement style. I would much rather have the entire unit
    I went with the bulb type. But, you can build one; you'll need to calculate current limiting and voltage drop resistor. A typical 2200 MCD LED requires 2 VDC and draws .30A. Doing a rough calculation for 6 LEDs in parallel, a 6.5 ohm / 20 watt resistor in series with the LED's should drop the 13.6 supply Voltage to 11.6 and limit current to 1.8 amps. 20 watt resistors tend to be large, you can use 2 ea 4 ohm 10 watt resistors in parallel, or 4 ea 2 ohm 5 watt.
    I could be wrong, haven't done this in years, and or there might be a better way to do this. Also the specs for 4300 mcd LED might be different.
    Are you sure the 2200mcd LED draws 300mA? Sounds high.

Comment

If you want your LEDs to last any length of time, limit your current flow to between 20-30 ma. For any circuit up to 6 LEDs a 1 watt resistor is plenty big. Remember the current flow is small, tiny infentisimle(spelling). Depending on how you set up your array, the usual values I get are 36, 68, 100 and 120 ohms. I keep these set ups as that is what I have on the shelf all are half or 1 watt. I have only had one 1/4 burn up, so I moved up to prevent that happening again.

That flasher looks just like the many elctronic flashers I have used over the years when the trailer overloads the stock one.

Comment

Working...
      X