starter clutch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter clutch questions

what is required to replace the starter clutch?

Would i be correct i n saying that since it was so difficult to remove the defective starter clutch, that even with this grouve, the rotor was on quite firmly and did not have a problem slipping??

Comment

I would go along with scotty. It's not slipping now maybe you can put it back together and it will be ok. I have seen cranks before where the starter clutch came lose and banged around on the end of the crank causing big gashes like your are describing. If you want to fix it you will have to pull the crank and send it down to falicon or grc or someone who can take it apart, replace the end, and then rebalance it.

Comment

The previous owner removed the starter clutch so I don't really know if there was slipping or not.

Comment

I had a falicon do a weld, balance, true, new bearings, and billet left end. All together it cost me $1400. What you want should be alot cheaper. Give them a call. http://www.faliconcranks.com

Comment

If you have to do a fix, I believe you can buy just that one part of the crank and have Falicon disassemble the crank and replace it. I believe they have all the crank sections in stock. I woukld do that instead of trying to weld it up.

Hap

Comment

From experience split the cases and have a new end put on the crank...good time to weld the pins on the crank also. You can turn the engine upside down and remove only the lower half.Use new rotor if possible or like new parts. Many people can remove the crank end and true it...Falicon is a rip off on prices.

Comment

starter clutch

Hey, did your starter clutch have a dowel boss on the back that connects to the rotor?

I had allen bolt shearing problems on my 1150 three times. I came to the conclusion that the dowel, eventhough, press fitted into the rotor was vibrating loose and falling back into the boss of the starter clutch backing plate.

I had a friend at a machine shop cut me a longer dowel. No problems since.

Since you already succeeded in getting the rotor off it might be worth seeing if a longer dowel would solve the starter clutch problem. You could always remove the rotor again later when you decide to send it to Falicon or whatever.

A new gasket and dowel is cheap. What if the new tapered crank end gets damaged by the starter clutch again. That would be a total bummer. Carter
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                X