Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 550L Mods Completed

Hi again,
    Some time ago I posted various questions regarding the installation of pods and the fitting of a dynojet stage 3 kit on my 81 550L and just thought I would let you know how I got on. I fitted the kit with the supplied 150 mains and while it ran, there was a very flat spot at around 5000rpm and the plug reads were on the lean side. I adjusted the needle clips but while it did help a bit the flat spot was still there. I then decided to try the 155 mains and lo and behold the performance iimproved with a smooth throttle response right up to red line. I have the needle clips at 3 from the top and the air screws at 1 3/4 turns out. Float vent pipes removed!!

I appreciate all the help from you guys especially Keith and Adam whos posts on this subject are very useful. Keith has mentioned in many posts about the importance of removing the float bowl vents and although this may seem minor it does have an effect on the performance when a stage 3 kit is fitted. I have now carried out a few more mods to my bike - I fitted a new but bargain price 4-1 BSM exhaust originally for a 550M but with a bit of cutting and braizing to the rear exhaust mount it fitted fine. I have also converted the bike to a single seat - just by cutting the original in half and recovering it and making some support brackets. Some mods to the rear mudgaurd, blinkers and rear light and I now have a bike thats definately a GS with my own stamp on it. I have hopefully attached a pic of it and now look forward to spring when I can get out on it without frostbite. Thanks guys and whats next? perhaps a hardtail!!

Nice bike, and you'll never have to give anyone a ride!

Comment

The bike looks good man! Glad she's running good. Thanks for letting me know I helped.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

nice man.

what happed to that sissybar/backrest you had on it?

Comment

It would be a nice "Bike of the Month" candidate. You ought to submit it.

Hap

Comment

Yep, I like it too! Good job. 8)

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys - Im glad you liked it. My insurance company didn`t like the mods that much as when I told them they refused to insure me. They were not keen on the stage 3 kit!! My broker soon found one that did though - for about the same cost. Dont know if you have the same problems over there with modified bikes?

Adam, you asked about the grab rail and what I had done with it - its still there but with bits cut off!

Thanks for the vote Hap, I may just give it a go.

Cheers

Comment

Your insurance company is worried about a Stage 3 jet kit? Half the people here are in big trouble by those standards.

You did a nice job on your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by runnersleep
                  Dont know if you have the same problems over there with modified bikes?
                  Modifications?!? I wouldn't DREAM of modifying the engine on my bike!!!!:roll: 8O

Hap

Comment

8) Yeah, Nice looking ride!! I to have just finished installing a Dynojet stage 3 jet kit and K&N dual pods on my 1980 550L.

Seems like the 150's do fine and pull pretty hard without any flat spots on my bike. I have the K&N dual pod setup from a 1982 GS550 Katana like Ryans bike has. They probably flow different then the pods your running. I also have a different pipe and I'm at 2500 above sea level which will make a difference too.

I haven't got to experiment with my jetting much yet because of the cold. I have fooled with the mix screws some. Seems like I have the best off idle throttle response with them twisted all the way out to 3 turns. My plugs have a light tan color so, I'm close to the ballpark. I plan to fool with it some more when it gets warmer and maybe try the 155 mains too.

Lookin Good!! Have fun and be safe!!

[/img]

Comment

Where did this guy go that started the topic, I want to talk to him about his bike! My Gs and his are virtually the same!

Comment

That's a nice looking 550. One of these days I may be inclined to more than just remove the front fender. I wouldn't have said squat about any mods done though. I would have claimed cosmetics if anything. Nice chop job on the seat. Nice and clean.
                        Should be a blast to ride.

Comment

Working...
                        X