Ignition key code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition key code

I was wondering how many digits are in the key code? I saw some posts on here and someone mentioned three digits. I found a 6 digit number beneath the ignition block just under the instrument cluster. Is this it? It's an 1983 GS1100ED.

Thanks,

LM

The ignition key code you need in order to get another key made (if that's what you mean) is written right on the ignition itself. Usually right on the top area where you put the key stamped into the metal.

Comment

If you don't have a key there is only one screw on the bottom of the switch holding the wired portion on. It is located under a small plastic cap. Remove that screw and pull the wired portion off the switch and you can use a screwdriver to turn the ignition on and off. It's not a permanent remedy, but I've had 3 or 4 ignition switches ruined by people trying to steal my bike and had to resort to that while waiting for a new switch.

Comment

The key code should be 3 digits, if you don't see it on the ign. look on the seat lock or the helmet lock, right on the face where the key goes in. Any good locksmith should be able to cut a key from this number

Comment

I removed the helmet lock and couldn't find anything. The ignition has this plastic cap over the key slot and has about 8 little tabs locking it on there. I haven't had any luck removing it as I am afraid that I will break it. To make matters worse, it's -14 in the garage this morning and I ran out of fuel there. Oh well I will try again when I get out of work.

Thanks,

LM

Comment

I'm assuming this is the bike you recently acquired. If you go from the bottom side of the switch you can at least turn the ignition on and off. I'm almost afraid to post his because it shows how vulnerable are bikes are to theft if the wrong people knew how to do it. Pull the plastic cap with to locking tabs off the bottom, loosen one screw, pull that part of the switch off, and you're good to go.

Comment

Hi and thanks Billy and the rest of you. I am going to give it a try. I wouldn't worry about posting that info. It's littered throughout the numerous postings old and new. I would go out tonight and see, but it's 5 below zero in the garage and I am waiting for the furnace to warm it up. Maybe later this evening.

Thanks again,

LM

Comment

Working...
              X